Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

3rd floor

Options
happydave
happydave Member Posts: 79
edited February 2017 in Strictly Steam

Measured, sized and replaced corroded boiler. Single pipe with just a drip return on header, drop header, third floor has two slow to heat radiators. Best vent to use? Always use vent rites, or are gortons quicker? In the past I've double tapped radiators for quicker venting or even added vent rite #35 with a 3/4 x 1/8 90* any thoughts? Owners say it's never heated well. Thanks Dave

Comments

• happydave
    Options
    Burnham in7
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    Options
    The boiler piping looks great.

What kind of main vents and what settings on the radiator vents? If you remove the vent on one of the problem radiators, does it heat a lot better? Be sure you have someone standing by the boiler switch if you try this.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • happydave
    Options
    No main vents, never was, radiators heat, just are slow
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    happydave said:

No main vents, never was, radiators heat, just are slow

There's part of your problem. Need main vents.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,729
    edited February 2017
    Options
    As others have said, you need main vents.
    Not only that, if I had a third floor I'd likely vent the risers to the third floor. A Gorton C or D on each riser and then vent the radiators appropriately.

If you really want to go all the way, you can vent the second floor piping separately from the radiators as well. The objective is to try and get steam to the inlet of each radiator at the same exact time on all 3 floors.

It all starts with getting the air out of the pipes with as little resistance as possible. Chances are you'll get by with reasonably slow vents (Gorton 4,5) on the first floor, faster ones on the 2nd (Gorton 5,6) and then riser vents + slow vents on the third.

How many mains are there? I only see one tied into the header.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • happydave
    Options
    Two original mains, no vents, never were vents on mains , all wrapped asbestos
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,729
    Options
    happydave said:

Two original mains, no vents, never were vents on mains , all wrapped asbestos

What there never was is moot. Apparently the system limped by when it ran on coal and has suffered poor performance, poor balance and excess fuel consumption for the past 70-80 years.

You need main vents.

The two mains should have been tied into the new header separately.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • LionA29
    LionA29 Member Posts: 255
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @happydave nice install!
    I think the angle pitch should be more inclined upwards on the boiler flue pipe to the chimney.
    Please post pics of the riser connection to the mains.
    As @ChrisJ & @KC_Jones mentioned, MAIN VENTING is mostly the problem in steam reaching those rads. If you want to see improvements, rectify that and you will Steam those rads in no time.
  • happydave
    Options
    I would've liked more pitch also I got an eighth of an inch per foot,let the helper do that. Can't do main vents in the basement (asbestos wrapped everything. I'm going to double tap the radiators .They do heat, the house is pretty well balanced besides. Nice even heat, that's why I did the 3 inch drop header.
    learning_steam_NJ
  • LionA29
    LionA29 Member Posts: 255
    Options
    > @happydave said:
    > I would've liked more pitch also I got an eighth of an inch per foot,let the helper do that.
    Lol ok Boss!
    happydave
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Find a good location on the end of those mains for vents, wet the asbestos wrap down, wrap it in plastic and cut it back enough to add the vents. It's not like you are working in asbestos for a living. :)
    BobChappydave