Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Triangle Tube PE110 installed in 2009 question

Options
bob eck
bob eck Member Posts: 930
Looked at a job where a TT PE110 Nate gas boiler with built in indirect water heater is installed in a home on a old cast iron radiator system.
Boiler has run great since October 2009.
Now boiler is loosing water pressure.
No apparent water leaks outside the boiler.
Could there be a very small pin hole in the heat exchanger where the leaking water is coming out in the boiler condensate?
Where else to look for the water leak.

Comments

• lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    That would be my first guess...open her up and see if you can see anything...
    kcopp
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,434
    Options
    I think you are going to see this more and more. Water quality is going to be key going forward.
  • bob eck
    Options
    When I looked at the boiler water pressure was about 10 PSI so I put it up to about 17/18 PSI. Boiler ran for about an hour I went to look for a visible leak inside the boiler and the water pressure was right up at 30 psi. I think possibly the employee expansion tank is bad on the system. Most likely this weekend I will change the expansion tank to see if that solves the problem what are your thoughts thanks
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,434
    Options
    Possible. Hard to say w/o giving is a good once over and watching the pressure changes.
  • bob eck
    Options
    When 33 year old oil boiler was take out of this house the water that came out of the W/M oil boiler and the system was very clear water.
    New TT PE110 boiler was in about 4 years and they did some home remodeling and system was drained completely because of moving cast iron radiators and the water at that time came out very clear.
    There is a Grundfos Alpha pump on this system since day one over 8 years and is running great no problems with that pump and if there was a good amount of iron in the water I would say that iron would have killed the Grundfos Alpha pump by now.