Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Question about Aquasmart immersion well and Buderus immersion well.

Options
rog2e
rog2e Member Posts: 16
I'm looking to replace my Buderus Logmatic 2109 with an Aquasmart control. Will I be able to use use the Imerssion well that the Buderus uses. It is a chrome immersion well. I didn't want to have to drain the boiler if I didn't have to install a different immersion well for the Aquasmart sensor.

Comments

• Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    You'll have to change it. The Buderus well is huge, and the Aquasmart bulb will get lost in it. I would not attempt any shimming. We are dealing with a high limit control.
  • rog2e
    Options
    Bob, Thanks. Typically does the boiler have to be drained to change things out?
  • swvawethead
    swvawethead Member Posts: 205
    edited February 2017
    Options
    May not much help but we just installed a GC144/4 that came from factory with the AquaSmart. It seems to have a matching well with a clip in sensor. I talked to the AquaSmart tech about the 2-in-1 sensor that incorporates the low water cutoff feature that is already incorporated into the AquaSmart. He said the field serviceable 2-in-1 sensor (with the replaceable innards) that is specific to the Buderus/AquaSmart combination will be available for retail at an unknown date. He also said do not use the 2-1 sensor (in either version) that is sold retail to use with AquaSmart that is sold for retrofit. Different part number. At the moment they are available only as warranty replacements. I recently had to call him about something else and asked for an update he said still not released for retail sale.
    The tech talked as if he is thoroughly confident about the ability of the AquaSmart to 'learn' and adjust the high limit based on previous demand and somehow also approximates what the outside temp is. Amazingly he guessed the outside temp while I was looking at the boiler temp readout showing an adjusted high limit lower than 180. He was within only a few degrees with his guess. (We are not using the wireless outdoor reset sensor that is available for the AquaSmart).
    Been fascinating observing the constantly changing high limit during operation.
    A Bosch tech who was also very helpful suggested I could turn off the low limit and differential - for my installation in southwest Virginia - and activate that setting when the indirect tank is installed later.
  • rog2e
    Options
    Wethead thanks for the info. Can a homeowner call Bosch tech or do you have to be working in the business? I have a lot of questions about my system at home lol.
  • swvawethead
    Options
    Well, if you are a homeowner they can be stand off-ish and give you a hard time once you manage to get to their section. But after the initial yanking your chain they can be very helpful. They will ask who you are, customer number (installer/pro), etc. I called mainly to get specific technical answers after not getting them from the installer or the web. Bosch is very good about answering email and I suggest doing that first, then use the phone number listed in the email to try calling but you still have to push button your way to the 'pro' folks who deal with installers and engineers.
    Be prepared and be very specific with the question instead of turning it into a 30+ minute call.
    Call only after you exhaust other means to find answers.
    Inspector and I could not find any info anywhere (and Bosch admitted this is not in their manual, etc.) on amperage rating for the circuit breaker feeding the boiler/zone controller and I was assured 15 amp service is more than plenty for our installation.
    Inspector wanted to make sure it is not suppose to be 20 amp and 12 gauge wire.
  • swvawethead
    edited February 2017
    Options
    If you end up with a customer service person (as a homeowner) they will only give you an email address which is what happened to me but did get a fairly prompt reply with followup emails back and forth couple of times. Then I called about more specifics.

Be prepared to hear them suggest the installer knows best and will properly configure and install your system. They don't want to get in between the installer and the customer and this is understandable.
    So, you want to ask questions that helps clarify technical questions about the system instead of judging an installer's work.
  • swvawethead
    Options
    FYI - there is a completely different section/person who handles AquaSmart. Now that we're done with our install I can't remember if I reached him via Bosch or a separate call to Beckett.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    If you know your way around things, and can isolate the boiler, you can take the pressure down and do a quick swap.
  • rog2e
    Options
    wethead thanks for the strategy I will use wisely!

Bob, I thought about doing that since there are a lot of valves on my system so I figure if I have to drain it, just drain as little as possible.
    Bob Bona_4