Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Alternative to Buderus Logmatic 2107?

Options
rog2e
rog2e Member Posts: 16
I have a Buderus Oil Boiler and DHW tank . Currently I have a Buderus Logmatic R2109 controller on its last legs. (I literally have to stick small pieces of cardboard in between the temp sensors for the DHW and Boiler temp because I think there might be a loose electrical connection other wise my circulators will not kick in.) The problem is the Logmatic 2107 is expensive. Does anyone know of any alternatives I can use? I really don't care about the Outdoor reset feature because I also have a Outdoor Wood boiler hooked up to the Buderus Boiler and that is the main source of heating the water. The Buderus will use Oil as a backup heat source whenever I am not using the wood boiler or if I haven't refilled the Outdoor boiler with wood. The problem I have is even though I am using the Outdoor boiler, the circulators for the indoor heating and DHW are still controlled by the Logmatic so when that doesn't work I end up with nice hot water in the boiler but it doesn't go anywhere. Are there any other recommended controllers to use with a Buderus Boiler?

Comments

• Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    I'm not saying this is for everyone, but I have removed failed 2107 controls and installed Taco EXP pump relays with the plug and play Taco PC700-2. It's simple and reliable.
    Steve Minnich
  • rog2e
    rog2e Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Stephen, Simple and reliable is really what I want. When you remove the 2107 what do you use for getting the temperature of the boiler and DHW tank once the 2107 is gone? I'm a novice at this but have been learning a lot. I already have a Taco relay on my system so maybe I'm thinking of leveraging that. Someone else also suggested an Aquasmart because it is a lot cheaper than the 2107.
  • Tinman
    Options
    AquaSmart is another good option. The ones we did already had a L8148E (Buderus# GAW025). We left that in place. On this last one, our customer still wanted ODR so we went the Taco route. The wiring was a mess as well so we cleaned that up too.

Steve Minnich
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Tinman
    Options
    Note: we did NOT install the boiler : ).
    Steve Minnich
  • Tinman
    Options
    New service switch too. The old one was a 100 year old disconnect. Never understood why most companies don't replace the service switches when they replace the boiler? Do you really want to go out on a service call at 2am because of an old switch?

Steve Minnich
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    1 heat zone? You could use an L8124 or Hydrostat 3250 triple aquastat and a switching relay for the indirect utilizing the ZR,ZC terminals.
    You'll also have to remove the sensor on the indirect and install a L4006A and change the well on the Buderus.
    Or use the Hydrostat as a cold start, a 2 zone board and TT on the aquastat to XX dry contacts on the zone board. The Hydrostat also has boiler reset with adjustable economy settings.
    If it were me, 2107 all the way.
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,231
    Options
    Good job, @Stephen Minnich
    I detest that god-forsaken Logamatic. I've removed them and put tekmar units in their place with great results, but I love your idea of installing the Taco PC700. Even simpler and easier.
    Let's face it. The end result of all single-stage, on/off boiler control modules is the opening and closing of dry boiler contacts with some feedback from sensors telling it when to smartly do so. Picking the one that speaks your language seems like the route best taken. The PC700, much like the Tekmar 260 (for ~$150 more but handles the DHW load) is a simple control that can be user friendly for the quasi-mechanically savvy.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    Tinman