Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

HB Smith Series 44

Options
Looking for information(Manuals, Brochure , Ratings) of the Series 44 Cast iron boiler. Customer has a rear section leaking(Plugged off on bottom of section, but connected to right rear section and upper drum. Wanted to find local Smith distributor and if they even still have sections for this boiler. I am in the South East Massachusetts area. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,539
    Options
    I have worked on plenty of Smith's. Sorry I threw out all my old Smith stuff. Call the Mestek factory in Westfiels MA. Or try Commercial Heating Supply South Windsor, CT 1-860-290-8696

If my memory is correct the Smith 3500 which is still made the sections will fit,

However, big problem the intermediate sections fit.

The front and backs wont because of the front doors and the rear smokehood wont fit the 3500 sections

If you plug a section you have to plug both connections the lower "mud drum" connection and the upper "steam drum" connection so the boiler is split in half "pork chop sections" as we used to call them. So a 10 section boiler actually has 20 half sections or 40 nipple connections

If you lost a back section your out of luck. It could eventually burn up and cook and expose the boiler room to the firebox & flame. Probably be ok for a while though. 44s are pre 1950s so it doent owe them anything.

probably covered in asbestos though and in between sections