Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Crown Mega Stor Indirect or Velocity Mega Stor II ?

Options
flat_twin
flat_twin Member Posts: 350
edited January 2017 in Domestic Hot Water
Any thoughts on the Velocity Mega Stor 2 indirect water heater? It appears to be the next generation of the Crown Mega Stor. I read it's made with 444 stainless steel and found this in the manual regarding chloride count...

"Not covered under warranty.. Any indirect‐fired water heater that has potable water with the following characteristics: chloride levels in excess of 80 PPM, measurable amounts of any compound containing chlorine, or PH less than 6.0 or greater than 8.0."

Should I have my municipal water tested beyond a hot tub dip strip? It's very good water with no taste or smell of chlorine.

I plan to retire our 23 year old Rheem electric water heater next summer and take advantage of the new NG modcon boiler.

Thanks!
Mark

Velocity Mega Stor II info

http://www.velocityboilerworks.com/documents/MegaStor_II_Manual.pdf

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,139
    Options
    Yes, test your water or see if the water provider has that info.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • flat_twin
    edited January 2017
    Options
    DelCo water quality info from their website.

pdf link Go to the bottom for the numbers. Chloride levels not given so I'm contacting them for more info

http://delcowater.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/2015CCReady.pdf
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Maybe take a sample and have it tested locally. Or send it to Rhomar Water for testing. It just needs to be tested specific to hydronics, not drinking quality.

Ph, hardness, TDS, chlorides are the main ones. The water needs to be compatible with all the metals in the system, not aggressive or too many scale forming minerals.

Here is a link with info about the various tests.

http://www.rhomarwater.com/assets/pdf/literature/Water-Test-Request-Form.pdf
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • flat_twin
    Options
    A DelCo water tech called and said they're not required by the EPA to test for chlorides so they don't and unless I have a water softener, chloride levels are so insignificant it's not an issue.
    Looks like I'll have to go for an independent test if I want a solid number on chlorides.

FWIW, The boiler installer flushed tested and treated the hydronic water with Sentinel X100 in November
  • hot_rod
    Options
    flat_twin said:

A DelCo water tech called and said they're not required by the EPA to test for chlorides so they don't and unless I have a water softener, chloride levels are so insignificant it's not an issue.
    Looks like I'll have to go for an independent test if I want a solid number on chlorides.

FWIW, The boiler installer flushed tested and treated the hydronic water with Sentinel X100 in November

As you have discovered, the tank and boiler manufacturers are sure concerned about chloride levels. They seem to be on the increase in out public and private water systems, just a heads up.

The levels can change depending on the water table, rains, surface contaminants, etc. It doesn't hurt to test from time to time, just as the city is required to do.

Public water providers are concerned more with health of the people, not the health of your components. It's possible that those EPA requirements may get watered down.

You are wise to use a hydronic water treatment. One key component is the film provider which puts a thin, micron thick layer on the bare metal to help protect it from aggressive fluids.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • flat_twin
    Options
    OK, I have the test results and they indicate Chloride is 14 mg/L. I believe that's essentially the same as 14 ppm, well under the 80 ppm requirement for warranty coverage of a stainless steel indirect. Chlorine in my water is 1.38 ppm.
    I noticed Weil McLain also specified in their warranty docs that Chloride and Chlorine levels must be less than 80.
    I see the WM indirects are no longer tank in tank but a coil type heat exchanger and they've added an anode rod.
    Are any of you using or have installed this latest version WM indirect? Good unit? Any problems? I intent to get a price from my heating contractor who uses WM products so I'm asking about WM as well as any suggestions from you guys about other brands.
    Honestly, I'm tempted to give this a go myself with the help of my neighbor who's a plumber by trade. I have studied the diagrams that came with the WM Eco boiler which cover adding an indirect WH.
    I'm a retired Telco technician so wiring doesn't scare me and I've sweated copper in my past.
  • Cokomo
    Cokomo Member Posts: 16
    Options
    I would like to hear from anyone who owns or has installed the MS II with the 444 stainless steel. Have been unable to find any info on this model other than from the manufacturer.