Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

3rd Floor Room Question

Options
CKNJ
CKNJ Member Posts: 57
Have a quick question about 3rd floor room in my house. Used to be the maid's room I am guessing a long time ago. At some point, the PO turned off the steam at the supply valve and i have not touched it (yet). I would like to use the room again and my question is about the shut off and the disc seal inside. Should i just open the valve (and risk pieces falling down into my riser) or should I disassemble the shut off and clean that out before putting back in operation?

BTW, Pics of the vent valve on there. It looks like "Williams..." can't read the rest and says No. 1 on it.

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    I would put a new vent on there, maybe a Vent-rite #1. When you open that valve, it may open fine or you may not be able to get the disc to seal well after that and/or the packing around the valve stem may leak. If it has been closed for years, it may make sense to take the bonnet off of the valve, when the weather is warm and you can shut down the boiler, replace the disc and repack around the stem with some graphite packing.
  • CKNJ
    CKNJ Member Posts: 57
    Options
    Thanks Fred. I only included the pics of the vent valve (which will be replaced) just to give some idea of when the room was probably last used.