Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Roof ice and furnace

Options
AlDavis
AlDavis Member Posts: 1
We have a Carrier heat pump with backup propane heat. The unit is about 20 years old, and we have had a great deal of trouble with it until recently when a new tech figured out what was wrong in the system. About six weeks ago we noticed some leaking in our bathrooms which we believed were from failing water lines, so we stopped using those bathrooms waiting for a plumber. Our community has been dealing with freezing rain the past few days and suddenly our plumbing was leaking---and, of course, it turns out it isn't the plumbing but something else. I determined that the water had to be coming in from the roof, and went into the attic to see if there was water there. I found a 4 inch PVC pipe which had at one time been covered with a black cylindrical insulation which had fallen off the pipe, but we found no water. Next I went outside to look at the roof (not accessible without a large ladder). I noticed that the pipe I had found in the attic which had lost its insulation vented out the roof and that there was a great deal of ice there and on the roof which mighb be creating an ice jam. I did partly rewrap the pipe in the attic while I was up there but didn't have the appropriate tools. However the picture I took shows that the water is not coming out the top of the vent pipe but below it somewhat. Is that normal or is there a possible damaged pipe there? I know I'll need a tech but I'd like to have some idea of what the problem is before we bring someone in. How do you attach photos to these posts?

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Where's the picture?
    Canucker
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    click on the little disc indicator to attach files (to the right of the smiley faces). Sounds like the roof boot my be leaking. Most are rubber and after 20 years may have simply warn out...