Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replace B&G 100 or use Taco 007 monoflo

Options
My 35 year old b&g circulator needs replacing do to oil leaks. Any opinions on proper replacement model given these specs. Gas caste iron boiler gross output 105K with 2 gallon capacity,100 foot rectangular run of 1 inch iron pipe with 1/2 diverter pipes, monoflo tees on both sides of each radiator.
Five 1940's caste iron 4 tube radiators all about 30" high and of varying lengths with approx. 30,000 btu of total output.
Sa-1 ell shaped flo check valve. Once radiators heat up the temperature differential is about 20 degrees. Would prefer to use taco 007 due to cost and no maintenance. Any thoughts?

Comments

• JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,231
    Options

The 007 isn't the best direct replacement for a B&G 100 in terms of flow rates, though it may be the best match for your system.
    The 0010's curve is closest to the 100 and even exceeds flow just a bit. It may be overkill. I really can't tell from here, but these are the specs.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Is it a B&G 100, or a 100 HV?
  • monoflobill
    monoflobill Member Posts: 4
    Options
    B&G 100
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    If the 100 has been covering the load, look for a similar curve.
    With that boiler size you probably only need to move 8-9 gpm.

The B&G Vario is a nice option, you can dial it in to just about and system requirement.
    Save electricity, and maybe get an energy rebate?

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Gordy
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Things are a bit different with a monoflo type delivery system. The OP states with present setup his delta is 20 when everything is heated up. If you drop that flow rate to much could cause flow issues for purging, and a very wide delta.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    From what the OP says, it suggests approx. 8ft/hd and approx. 8 gpm. He may have been dancing near shutoff head for the 100. The 007 may work, but it's a little too close for my liking. I'd probably go with the 0010, and put a globe valve on the return, to dial the flow in. That's my unprofessional opinion.
  • Paul48
    Options
    You're right.......I calculated the flow based on boiler output, but as they say in Maine, ya still, "can't get there from here".
  • Paul48
    Options
    I just re-read the original post........You're changing a series 100 due to oil leaks????
  • Gordy
    Options
    I think the op is looking for a maintenance free circ Paul.
  • Paul48
    Options
    When would you recommend he install that Gordy?
  • Gordy
    Options
    ?
  • Paul48
    Options
    He wants to replace it because of oil leaks. Waiting until spring is probably wise, no?
  • Gordy
    Options
    Sure. Or just wait until the spring coupler breaks because the excessive oiling has eaten the mounts, and shifted the alignment of the shaft. Usually when it's -10, and 1 am. Its 35 years old. That's pretty damn good on a three piece circ.
  • Paul48
    Options
    You must spend a fortune on tires that might go flat. :smile:
  • Gordy
    Options
    Only when they are bald, cracked, and driving a long trip :)
  • Paul48
    Options
    Here is a quote from Heather from 2008. Over oiling is a common problem with these circs.

"And please, for the love of all that is holy, do not over-oil. The how-to for oiling your pumps is found easily on the B&G public website. They really don't take all that much oil"
    Gordy
  • monoflobill
    monoflobill Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Seems like some disagreement on which circulator. l wound up ordering A taco 0010 -3 speed pump. More than i wanted to spend but it seems like almost direct replacement. I'll post what speed i wind up setting it to after testing. Thanks for your responses.