Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Flue liner for oil

overpop
overpop Member Posts: 52
I have an exterior clay lined brick chimney with my Trio Boiler going into it. I want to install a metal liner. What type (stainless/grade etc) and where would you suggest (if you are allowed to say here) I get the materials.

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited January 2017
    Stainless steel. I suggest you let the person installing it supply it. After proper sizing, and installation, the installer will have to check draft w/gauges and adjust, and check you combustion with an analyzer.
    Edit: You can also direct vent that boiler-most configurations.
    steve
    billtwocase
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    I don't know about your area, but the one thing I wasn't allowed to do my self in my town was clean and inspect the chimney, I needed to hire a company for that.

That said, let them get the materials.

If you have the room, I would want an insulated stainless liner.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • cableman
    cableman Member Posts: 69
    Doesn't it have to be 316 for oil? I have a local guy by me with great prices, bought my 304ss insulated liner for my wood insert from him. Saved myself quite a few bucks installing myself and did steps no one would do.
    Where ya from and whats the size of the clay liner?
  • overpop
    overpop Member Posts: 52
    Cableman thanks, I will look into 316. I installed my boiler/re-piping myself without any experience but with my time and analyzer I found many problems the contracted professional totally missed with the previous boiler. (No pump away, no primary secondary no Barometric draft.) Then I studied more, installed the draft and the readings with some intake tweaking were spot on. End of season, very little soot. Let's just say my efficiency ratings were 10 points higher after tuning and analysis than the professional. But, they the contracted oil supplier wants to sell more oil.