Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pex A lost it's memory?

I used to use alot of PexA ......REhau and Wirsbo before dropping hot water heat and working only on steam. I have some 14 year old 3/8 REhau that has been stored under heavy blankets in spaces very dark to completely dark its whole life. I am using the Wirsbo Propex set up and the tubing does not appear to be shrinking onto the barbed ends... its easy to wobble the tubing on the barbed ends. I remember that you could see the bulge where the main barb was when the tubing shrank onto the fitting and I don't see this now. It seems to have lost its memory, or am I missing something
To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.

Comments

• lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    sounds like the wrong fittings...
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    edited January 2017
    I've been told you can use a heat gun with caution to get the pex to conform when old.

That said, when we did my parent's recirculating hot water last year we had no issues with the 10 year old pex shrinking around the new fittings and that was all stuff that has been in use since 2006.

This is a really silly question but, I assume you're putting the little collars on the ends? Seems like something that could be forgotten if not done for many years.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • The Steam Whisperer
    The Steam Whisperer Member Posts: 1,215
    Thanks, You guys made me look at things a third time...Could've sworn the pex said 3/8....it is actually 1/2 inch.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    ChrisJHillykcopp