Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Opportunity to replace snowmelt boilers

Options
Pipe
Pipe Member Posts: 16
I have an opportunity to replace these (2) Burnham P806 330k BTU boilers being exclusively used for a 6,500 sq. ft. snow melt system on a residential property on Long Island. Contractor did not install a heat exchanger. Any suggestions? Client wants high efficiency. I'm leaning towards condensing so I don't have to install a heat exchanger. Correct? Installation location is a garage. I'd love to learn this stuff and add to my arsenal of knowledge.

Comments

• lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    I am looking at a snowmelt for a ski area. We are looking at using the HTP 850's.. but with your load you could look at two of the 500's and derate them based on need. With the communication between the two it would run at peak efficiency all day long
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,550
    Options
    How do you do snowmelt with those boilers (the Burnhams) with no HX? Won't they constantly condense??
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Options
    HTP is a good idea and use glycol
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    missed the question on HX..no with the HTP you wouldnt have to use a HX. Im guessing the existing boilers are piped in series, I would not do that with the HTP..that way they could work together to get the max efficiency... If it's a time issue, HTP makes the boilers when ordered so plan ahead...
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    looks like primary secondary piping, small Taco pumping the boiler, large one for the loops? Flue piping doesn't indicate any condensing going on.

Glycol works fine directly to cast iron, no need for HX.
    The tekmar control may be providing some return protection.

I agree, a direct piped mod con would be my first choice. Many choices available. Select a brand that has good support in your area.

Depending on the melt performance they expect and the tubing installed maybe 100- 125 BTU/ sq ft.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Henrykcopp
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    I'm aware of a set up similar to this operating at 11,000' ASL in Breckenridge CO, and it never showed any signs of condensing either. I suspect it has to do with the fact that the glycol causes an inherent drop in therm al efficiency, which keeps the flue gasses higher than usual due to the lack of efficient heat transfer.

Going to a modcon will result in a minimum of a 30% reduction in fuel consumption. Probably end up closer to 40%. Use a minimum 30% glycol solution, and keep the load (net output) around 150 btu/sq ft /hour and you should be just peachy keen.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

kcoppHenrySWEI