Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Indirect water heaters

Options
bob eck
bob eck Member Posts: 930
What brand indirect water heater do you use? Why do you use this brand? Was there a brand that you were using that you do not use anymore and why?

Comments

• gschallert
    gschallert Member Posts: 170
    Options
    We just installed a Bradford White Powerstor SS - RTV-40 last year. It was between that and the Lochinvar SIT040 but the grade of SS (titanium ferritic 444 stainless steel) is what tipped the scale to the Powerstor for me. This is my first indirect, it replaced a Bradford White fired tank that lasted 15+ years and was still going strong. That fired tank replaced a long line of electric tanks that each leaked almost from install and went through elements like crazy. The plan is for the Powerstor SS to be the last tank I have to install before I'm ready for the old folks home.

We love it. Boiler runs maybe twice a day to heat it and we couldn't run it out of hot water if we tried.
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Options
    I spec HTP SSU indirects. Install and forget about it in my lifetime! They finally sent me the pressure drops for different flow rates after 3 years of asking. I can now get more than the minimum flow rate of the boiler into the coil.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I've had great luck with Heat-Flo, in fact I have one in my own house. We see a lot of Vaughan "Top Performers" with leaking top gaskets, and the most popular is Amtrol "boiler mate" which I simply don't care for. Finned tube copper coils are poor performers long term, same goes for the Vaughns finned copper coils. They get high numbers when new, but quickly fill with minerals and end up being bottom performers.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!