Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

When the test gauge is leaking...

Options
Boon
Boon Member Posts: 260
So I've tried testing like three times, bubble tested everything ... except the gauge! The schrader valve is leaking. Now what do I do?

I pulled a cap off of my car wheel and tightened it on there but it still leaked. Maybe I'll try another cap.

Is there something smart that y'all do when this happens?
DIY'er ... ripped out a perfectly good forced-air furnace and replaced it with hot water & radiators.

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,063
    Options
    Use a Schrader tool to back it out and retighten. Exercise it a bit first might make it seat.......or replace it with new core.
    delta TBoon
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    Options
    We always have a spare core or two on hand when we do a pressure test. 99.5% of the time when I have a leak it is the test assembly, always the first thing I check if the pressure drops. I think you can get them from most bicycle repair shops for not too much $. A good schrader tool, or a cap (like the ones in the pic) that have the tool formed in work well.
    Boon
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    Options
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,550
    Options
    a few times I have vainly looked for a leak that didn't exist......except on my test gage or hose.......someday I will get smarter
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    That is a frustrating lesson that we have all learned :)

I have also had gauges develop a leak up inside them.

On large radiant air test I eliminate the schrader valve, screw a 1/4 ball valve and the quick couple that matches my air hose.

It eliminates the tire stem leak potential and really speeds up the fill. No need to hold the air chuck either.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Koandelta T
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,063
    Options
    You could have a good ball valve to isolate the testing equipment from the system being tested. Open to fill then close, open to peek at pressure as needed. (for overnight or prolonged testing, obviously not to monitor tubing during pour.)
    Koandelta T