Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replace obsolete cracked convector

Options
DanielC
DanielC Member Posts: 13
A steam cast-iron convector in a bedroom in my house cracked. The dimensions are 21.5" W x 7.5" H x 6" D. There is another such convector in the bedroom that still works. As you can see from the picture, it is inset into a wall cabinet. There is a cover with a grill on the top and an opening on the bottom. The heating system is single pipe.

1) I would like to know the EDR so I can validate that the proposals I get to replace it are using the right size convector. Neither the plumber with my heating oil company nor the local plumbing supply house recognized the convector. I bought Dan H's book "E.D.R." and did not find the convector in the book. How do I calculate the EDR?

2) What company (or companies) manufactures a replacement convector?

3) Even with only one convector in the bedroom, the bedroom seems only a little bit cool ... and it was 9 degrees outside this morning and still only 22 degrees outside this afternoon. I'm concerned that if I replace the convector with one having the same heat output the room will be too hot. Is there any impact on the boiler or the system balance of not replacing that convector, or of replacing it with a smaller one?

Thanks for reading the long post; I appreciate your comments.

Comments