Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

system 2000 flashing 140

Paul_69
Paul_69 Member Posts: 251
ek-1 and flashing 140,find nothing out of line and working properly. circulator etc. was not off on reset. very brief description in manual unless something dead or off on reset. i have found this problem from time to time and real head scratcher. sensor? manager? relay etc. thanks

Comments

• Roger
    Roger Member Posts: 329
    edited January 2022
    Thank you for your question, Paul. The flashing 140 light means that in "preheat" with the burner on and no zones open, the boiler did not heat to 120F in 20 minutes. We see this most often with a burner lockout, although that sounds like it is not the case here.

If the burner is working and not locked out, then there is either a circulation problem or some other case that keeps the boiler from heating quickly, which usually takes about 2 minutes from cold start.

For lack of circulation, this could be an intermittent or failed circulator, a blocked bypass/heat exchanger, or a closed bypass ball valve. In rare cases a zone valve may fail open on large water volume systems which prevents the boiler from heating quickly. If you start the boiler and it preheats in 2 minutes, then it is probably an intermittent problem. A good way to test the circulator is to turn the power off and then back on while watching the T&P gauge. The manager will briefly self test all outputs including the circulator and you will see the T&P gauge pressure "bounce" for a fraction of a second; this indicates the circulator has power and the boiler has flow. Repeating a dozen plus times can catch an intermittent circulator, wiring or connection to the circulator relay or the relay itself.

If the bypass is blocked, the temperature high limit in the supply will turn off the burner and the return temperature display on the manager will show a much lower temperature. Basically no or low flow causes the supply to heat without raising the return temperature.

Intermittent issues are the trickiest, but hopefully you can catch it with the cycling test. Otherwise, it may be an intermittent sticking zone valve or something else that causes cold returns for an extended period. For clarity (but not for troubleshooting this symptom), zone valves stay closed until the return temperature reaches 140F on oil heat systems; after opening, they will close if the temperature drops below 120F to "reheat" the boiler.

I believe we have a troubleshooting document on our dealer portal as well, but I need to confirm.

Give us a call if you need further help.

Thank you,
    Roger
    President
    Energy Kinetics, Inc.
    Erin Holohan Haskellrick in AlaskakcoppDon2132
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    How's that for customer service? Thanks, Roger!
    Retired and loving it.
    Erin Holohan HaskellbilltwocaseRobert O'Brienkcopp
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Funny, had one last night. Was a bad cad cell relay. Nice opportunity to upgrade from an 8184G to a Genisys with a pre and post purge. Usually what happens is 140 will be flashing, and it will go into freeze protection. Did you clear the manager by turning it off then on again to determine if it was actually off on safety? If you press the button before you do this, you will get no reaction, and assume it wasn't off on safety. Thank you Roger for all that you do
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    I swear Roger has 'System 2000' on his Google alerts.
    Saturday...snowing...
    steve
    billtwocase
  • DanHolohan
    Roger cares.
    Retired and loving it.
    billtwocaseAlan Welch
  • Roger
    Thank you all for your such nice comments! Just looking to help keep all of our mutual customers happy...and thanks for being out in the snow keeping so many families warm with your expert care!
    President
    Energy Kinetics, Inc.
  • billtwocase
    and it is accumulating here on Cape
  • Paul_69
    Paul_69 Member Posts: 251
    Thanks Much Roger! Thanks to All
  • Roger
    You're very welcome, Paul - and thanks again for all you do!
    President
    Energy Kinetics, Inc.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    Now that is customer support!!
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    billtwocase
  • billtwocase
    Other companies and reps should take notice. Behind every product, there needs to be competent and readily available support. EK has it
  • Roger
    I can't think of a finer compliment - thank you Bill and Bob!
    President
    Energy Kinetics, Inc.
    billtwocase
  • DanHolohan
    I have to agree, Roger. And I've yet to hear my System 2000 run. It's been more than six months now and Marianne and I are loving the peace and quiet. Thanks!
    Retired and loving it.
    Rogerbilltwocase
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    System 2000 is by far the quietest boiler I have run in to. Although a Buderus direct vent with a Riello is close.
    Rick
  • Roger
    Great to hear Marianne and you are enjoying your System 2000, Dan - we're thrilled to help keep your home cozy and warm!
    President
    Energy Kinetics, Inc.
  • DanHolohan
    We're really loving the peace of mind, Roger. OSI is also happy. No service calls! Thanks to the whole EK team.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Roger
    You're welcome! And it's our pleasure to work together with the expert team at OSI. It's great to know that you place your trust and confidence in them as well.
    President
    Energy Kinetics, Inc.
  • DanHolohan
    They've never let me down.
    Retired and loving it.
    billtwocase