Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Series 100 Pump

maslaten
maslaten Member Posts: 5
edited January 2017 in THE MAIN WALL
Installed a new bearing assembly with impeller. When I turned on the water, the oil well filled with water and water was leaking out of the weep hole on the bottom of the assembly. Did I do something wrong? I took it back apart and checked the gasket and it was where it was supposed to be. Could the new one have a bad seal?

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    You have to support the coupler side of the shaft when you install the impeller. If you don't, the forward thrust of the impeller will cause the seal to leak. Put a soup can or block of wood under the coupler end of the shaft when you screw down the impeller nut.
    Retired and loving it.
    kcopp
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Neat trick Dan. Sounds like the shaft was possibly hammered
  • DanHolohan
    That goes for any pump with a coupler, Bill, but especially for the small ones. There's a lower pressure at the impeller's eye when the pump first starts, which causes it to move forward if there's any play at all in the shaft. B&G taught me that when I was a kid in the business.
    Retired and loving it.
  • maslaten
    edited January 2017
    Thanks Dan, I'll try that. I ordered the bearing assembly with the impeller assembled, guess it could have been installed incorrectly from the assembly plant.
  • DanHolohan
    Was it a factory-original part?
    Retired and loving it.
  • maslaten
    Not sure what you mean. it is a B&G ordered through partshouse.com
  • maslaten
    Excuse me, supplyhouse.com
  • DanHolohan
    There are folks who rebuild the parts and sell them. Sid Harvey's is a good example of this and they do a fine job. Others may miss that fine point about supporting the shaft that I mentioned. I don't know if supplyhouse.com sells factory-original repair parts or offers third-party products as an option.
    Retired and loving it.
  • maslaten
    I took it apart and reinstalled the impeller per your instructions. Still leaks. Can I assume it is a bad assembly?
  • DanHolohan
    Yes
    Retired and loving it.