Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Panel Rad placement Question

Options
sibellc
sibellc Member Posts: 14
Hi,

I need advice for panel radiator placement in a kitchen - One location would likely radiate best into the room, but it is 300 btu/h below calculated btu requirements, and much of the output would be convective, as it's 12" tall and quite wide. It's under a tall picture window, so can't get taller. The other location better matches the heat loss calc - 4600 btu/h vs the 4700 btu/h required, but it would appear to be radiating mostly towards the next room. Any thoughts appreciated! Diagram attached.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    what about both locations? You want to be sure that you cover the load at design conditions. A bit of an oversize may allow you to run lower supply temperature and outdoor reset controlsy
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • sibellc
    sibellc Member Posts: 14
    Options
    It's going to be installed with a Knight KHN Mod-Con with outdoor reset, buffer tank and TRV on each rad, homerun to a manifold with balancing valves. All rads in the house are sized for 140 AWT after envelope upgrades in the spring - currently being run at 160AWT. I suppose I could do both locations and keep it to around 5000 btu/h. Is there any downside to oversizing more than about 10%? Would you pipe the two in series controlled by one TRV?

Thanks!
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    Sure, two in series sized to the load of the room, two smaller sizes maybe?

use an H valve with adjustable bypass.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream