Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Just skimmed and flushed boiler- QUESTIONS!

jch1
jch1 Member Posts: 200
edited January 2017 in Strictly Steam
My one-pipe system was making tons of noise (banging, ticking, loud knocks, etc.), so I decided to skim the boiler for about an hour. I then flushed and filled the boiler back, and the water was TERRIBLY dirty. I haven't flushed the system since last heating system, so I guess that makes sense. A couple of questions:

- I know there's really no need to flush the system that often during the heating system, but how often is appropriate? I'm using one Steammaster tablet, if that makes a difference.

- When I flushed the system, I essentially just opened the valve and let all the water expel from the boiler. I then closed that up, closed the skim port, filled the system back with water, and immediately turned the boiler on. It's my understanding that this is the best way to avoid oxidation. With that being said, would it be okay to just run water through the manual feed to the lower opening to really clean out any gunk? I don't have the option of using a sprayer or hose, as my sink doesn't have a threaded connection.

- After skimming and starting the system up, I turned the heat up to about six degrees warmer than usual to ensure it was really humming along. Water in the sight glass was extremely steady (though cloudy), but that's irrelevant to my question. All of the rads were piping hot, which was great, but suddenly, one of the rads started making a loud whooshing sound. hot a typical hiss, but rather, it sounded like i essentially didn't have a vent on the end at all. The noise didn't begin until well after the system was hot. I'm using a vent-rite adjustable vent on there. Could there be a problem with a) the vent sticking; or b) there being an issue with the threading of the vent into the radiator?

Sorry for the lengthy post, and thanks in advance!

One other thing - about an hour after the system's been off, I get 3-4 random loud bangs again. Any idea what's causing this?

Comments

• marcusjh
    marcusjh Member Posts: 84
    edited January 2017
    Could be the vent, but it could also be the stem of the valve handle on the floor too. Check and see if that's leaking next time it's up. I recently had to re-pack an old radiator's valve stem. Also check the fittings where the valve connects to the radiator and make sure they're squared up and tight. Use a hand-held mirror around where you think there might be a leak. Have to get it fairly close, but don't get burned.
    upstateben
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,489
    You should only have to flush a boiler one in a great while once it's clean. To clean it you may have to flush a boiler several times and if it's really dirty you might have to add some washing soda to the boiler - then bring it up to steam for a good while. After that do a couple of flushings to get the cleaner out of the system.

As to the banging after the flushing, check any horizontal steam pipe you can reach to make sure it has some pitch back to the boiler, same goes for the radiators. make sure there are no dips in the piping where water might sit.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • jch1
    jch1 Member Posts: 200
    So I've pitched all my rads previously, don't know what to do there. A crazy update. The main reason I cleaned and skimmed was because I wanted to get the rads heating up evenly. We have an ecobee3 thermostat, and one sensor in our son's room. It constantly reads 4 degrees colder. This morning, I checked the temps, and it was 4 degrees warmer in there than the 1st floor reading!

Anyways, I just checked the boiler, and great, it somehow flooded. Water level was beyond the top of the boiler, and I had to drain 4 buckets worth out to get it back to the correct level.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    auto feeder? could be leaking.
    manual fill valve not shutting off completely?
    feel the feed line for cold which would indicate something's not shutting off
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,489
    The fill valve (manual or automatic) could be leaking by and slowly overfilling the boiler. If you have an automatic water feeder valve it off for a few days and see what happens.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • marcusjh
    marcusjh Member Posts: 84
    Any pooled/sitting condensate was probably brought back to the boiler when you pitched your radiators, which would flood it. As for the temp, sounds like you might need to adjust your venting if it's too warm. It can be tricky, I have to keep going from one room to the next to see which radiator is coming up and adjust from there. If your boiler keeps flooding, you might have an intake issue - and that, someone else might be able to chime in on -