Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator leaking

cossy
cossy Member Posts: 8
A radiator on the second floor is leaking water out of the air vent. I have it pitched back, that's definitely not the problem. Could I have a bad valve?

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,489
    If it's leaking out of the vent and not the threaded connection it's probably the vent. What kind of vent is it?

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • cossy
    edited January 2017
    Hi, Bob,

Have vent-rite model 1 air vents on all my radiators.
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    possibly runout pipe slanted wrong, runout pipe wrong size, radiator valve not fully open, to much boiler pressure, firing rate in need of adjustment, boiler piped poorly creating wet steam...thats just off the top of my head.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• cossy
    Thanks Gerry. Since this is the only radiator out of 8 leaking, it doesn't seem likely that it's a piping or firing issue. My pressure is set to .5/1.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,489
    edited January 2017
    Try swapping the vent to another radiator and see if the leak moves with the vent. use a little teflon tape to seal the threads.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    pics of near boiler piping please. does water level bounce around a lot during steaming? Any new piping recently? Just because other vents are leaking, doesn't mean it's not wet steam. Some of your runouts may just be in a point in the system that happen to have steam dried out a bit by the time the steam gets there. The runout on the leaking vent radiator may have been piped closer to the limit by the deadmen than the other rads. don't assume.
  • cossy
    Thanks for the input everyone. I swapped out the vent and opened the valve. Seems to have done the trick.