Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need some help with non-heating mitsubishi mini-split

Options
2»

Comments

• Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Options
    I have used mshp's in my homes for the past 15 years and find the combination of the mshp with a Rinnai Energysaver, gas fired modulating direct vent to be an ideal in cold climates. I represented Rinnai and still work with them (26 yrs), so bias noted. I have also heated my homes, shop, basement and garage with them through that time. Off the cuff, I'd put in an EX22C 8,200-21,500 btu in the main living area. Simple install. 2.5" hole through the wall. You will be comfortable. Describe the space please.
    kcopp
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Also, while you are leaning toward the conventional furnace, understand that it is exceedingly difficult to add duct work to a home and do it well. My current home had an "added"duct system. It was awful. Noisy, unbalanced and took up a lot of space. The equipment itself was fine. However between my comfort and that equipment was a ridiculous duct system. I pulled the whole system and took it to the dump. The Fujitsu's and Rinnai's have made us very comfortable. I'm in CA now and I'm no longer seeing the temps you are seeing (26* last night, brrrr), but the Rinnai was my primary heat when I lived in MA too.
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,693
    Options
    Sure would hate to see her go from one disappointment to another. I'd the new duct system is gonna be lame you may want to hit the pause button

We of course have no idea what the house is like

If you talk with someone who "just" does ducts you're going to get a duct system.

If you heated with wood in the past, maybe you don't need perfect temps in every room.

If that is your desire, fine and dandy, anything can be done . How easy or practical is a whole different story.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • jacobsond
    jacobsond Member Posts: 90
    Options
    Heatpump mini split for only heat where temps go below 0 F. Thats just crazy. Bad on your heat/AC guy. He should have known better. Now your stuck. I would put in either a couple of those wall heaters or better yet little boiler with some baseboard heat. A lot easier to run a few pipes then ductwork. I have a 2000sf home. Baseboard hot water heat. Installed 2 panasonic mini splits this summer. Heatpumps. 2 outdoor units and 2 indoor. Cools the house great. Heats great until around 10 or a little less. Then I let the main furnace take over. Its already saved me 300gal of propane this winter. You going to need 2 heat sources with a heatpump. Backup electric gas or propane. Installing a hot air furnace would be the most expensive if you have no ductwork.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    With the system already installed and working to the best of its ability, (although not as promised), it is probably hard for you to come out ahead unless there is a full refund. That may be a hard decision on the part of the HVAC company.
    It is the most economical operating heating system, down to it's limitations, which you are painfully aware of.
    Cooling may not be a major factor in your location, but you did end up with that.
    It seems the HVAC company should bite the bullet and reach some compromise of installing supplemental heat in your house at a reduced price. (been there......done something almost as bad/stupid)

There may be some incentive from your electric utility company for electric boilers or such, I believe some northern states such as ND has or had some bennies to offer.
  • asanford10
    asanford10 Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Hey all, thanks for the replies. Been busy with school starting up again. So it's been decided that we are definitely going for the furnace install and this time with a different company and an old Navy friend of mine will be installing all the ducting - I know I can trust him to do a good job - and this company is highly recommended in our area. We are feeling good about it, especially with the single-digit temps hitting us again! Ugh. Really over winter! We will be getting a full refund on the mini-splits as that is the policy of the company. They ended up offering the hyper heat unit for free after I said I wanted to schedule a removal, but we decided to just get them out completely. Other than the holes in the ceilings, it won't be too big of a disaster once they are gone. The gas company came and put a line in and set a meter up (since we had no existing gas to the house) so we are a couple days away from install and honestly can't wait.

GW - I hated the varying temps of the rooms with the wood stove. Our living area would be 85+ and the rest of the house would be lower so the second I left the hotter than hades living room I was cold even though the house was a nice 72 or so throughout! Haha
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,693
    Options
    That's hilarious, those birds likely learned a good lesson. Mistakes happen, no one is perfect, but your story, takes the cake.

Nat gas is the cheapest means of automatic heating bar none.. I'm glad you're on your way to a real heating system

Semi curious how and when you will be reimbursed though.

Maybe have your HVAC guy set you up with an ac coil? For future ac or central heat pump
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com