Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Shower assembly from 1971 - Would like to work on Diverter Stem

Boiler Talk
Boiler Talk Member Posts: 136
The shower faucet is a 1971 Bradley #8540. About 10 years ago I was able to acquire new stems from Danco and later better 1/4 turn stems from the plumbing store. Now I would like to work on the diverter stem. I can remove the diverter stem, but I am afraid to take the stem apart. As the diagram shows the stem is held together by part #D209 or Seat Washer disc. This piece is about 45 years old. Could I buy the entire diverter stem or somehow carefully take off that disc?


  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,254
    I'll bet you can still get complete stem assemblies. Usually faucet supply shops in larger cities have that older stock.

    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Yep, I'd recommend the faucet shoppe as well. I've walked into their place and it's literally a junkyard collection of old faucets. Was able to locate a diverter for a 1920s tub faucet. Manufacturer's name escapes me but it started with a "Z", but they've been able to find everything I've ever thrown at them. A 1971 faucet should be a slam dunk for them.
  • Boiler Talk
    Boiler Talk Member Posts: 136
    I'm going to look. I sent an email. Thanks.