Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burnham Hydronic V15AT 160MBH

Options
Nostat2Handlers
Nostat2Handlers Member Posts: 5
edited December 2016 in THE MAIN WALL
Hi Folks! I am a bit attached to this furnace and it has become my new career these days.... I am here in the northeast with a questionable furnace in a 2600sf home.. the attic air handle is being called via the 2nd flr. Honeywell digl. room thermostat but the fan motor just hangs out.. mostly when its below 30F outside..
it has two honey w. zone controls, two taco 007-F3 and F47 circulators one is used for the 36 gal triangle tube not so smart water heater. Techs took off the Goodman air handler strap on aquastats for the first floor and attic units a few years back. Recently the furnace was set to 220/200 (now set on 185is 165) on the main Honeywell controller L8124A1098 and 30 mins later steam and smoke smelled up the house..and that messed up the thankless gasket at a new site on the top left corner. I tighten the bolt just a bit but some did not move.. Would love to see a drawing of what is in back of that plate ie coils etc. given I was told if there was white ash on top near the exhaust pipe the unit leaks internally but when you look inside there is no evidence of that.. It takes about 6+ month to accumulate a bit of ash.. The unit is at least 26year old, no glycol for most of those years and it does leaks when it is cools off ie power outage!.. Just hoping it is not it's last season with us..
Without doing major plumbing to improve the situation I would like to at least update the controller to a Taco ZVC405-4 5 zone given the old Eric 3 zone controller SR301/301AT only has 2 zones working and the priority shunt has been taken out.. that seem doable for me.. I do have a taco SR 503-4 on my desk but want some spare relays on this.. given its past history..
Would love to hear if anyone thoughts on this and if they had the latest control brand and part numbers on their unit that work on ours. Thank So Much and Happy New Year!

Comments

• Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    All the SR series Taco's have served well for me. The latest ones have the indicator lights in front (finally), and the big ice cube relays are gone. I suggest they be mounted on a nearby wall - not the boiler. Less disturbance at boiler changeout.
    Nostat2Handlers
  • Nostat2Handlers
    Nostat2Handlers Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi Bob! Thanks so much for your comments here that makes a lot of sense. So easy to do, see and service it again if need be! Even the techs had to squeeze between copper piping for the hot water heater the boiler and a wall!!
    I am also putting a valve on the Taco 400 auto bleeders.. After 26 years here I just found another one up in our attic under some fiberglass!! Great place to bleed it but Glad someone closed it tight... I like the ZVCs but they have even smaller relays hence my concern about fit form function and getting this given it's a 5 zone for future mishaps or expansion for the unheated basement..