Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Mouse troubles

Options
Dave19
Dave19 Member Posts: 28
I've run into a mouse nest several times in the intake air PVC and always been able to clear them with a soot vac. Today I've found a very long run of 3" piping that's clogged and the soot vac hose is not long enough to get the blockage. Found the dead mouse in the burner box so I know its a nest. Currently have the pipe removed and furnace is running off basement air. Any ideas of getting some distance and around a few 90's to blast this thing out?

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    Can you use some compressed air from the inside out? Plan B would be a plumbers auger (manual of course)
    steve
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Put a good shop vac on the one end, taped off around the vac hose and use the blower function on the vac to blow it out.
    kcopp
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    is there a screen on the intake?
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,477
    Options
    And then put a female cat out at that air intake point. make sure you feed it every day to keep it around but not enough to make it feel full. My old grey cat use to get 2 or 3 mice a day and the occasional rat to boot. Any mouse unlucky enough to make it into the cellar in the fall lasted about 3 days before it met certain death.

We have a developing rat problem is some areas of my city. This has happened as those areas are turning predominately oriental. They make good neighbors but they don't tend to keep cats as pets.

There was a piece in today's paper about the feds nixing the use of dry ice to control rats. They were putting small chunks of dry ice into rat burrows, the dry ice would sublimate and suffocate the rats. The gov't, in it's infinite wisdom, has decreed dry ice is not an approved method of pest control - morons.

Dry ice is cheap but cats are probably cheaper and more effective.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    Mark EathertonkcoppBoon
  • Dave19
    Dave19 Member Posts: 28
    Options
    The screen had been broken off. Very good info here tho thank you. I had no idea about the Orientals rat problems either.......thank you Bob
  • icy78
    icy78 Member Posts: 404
    Options
    Fish a fishtape thru, tie a rag on the end and pull it thru. The fish part of that may attract the necessary cats too!