Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Floor sensor wiring

birch
birch Member Posts: 15
edited December 2016 in Radiant Heating
I recently installed in-slab radiant heating. It has been running on a Honeywell 7600d thermostat and working well. A plumber recommended installing an in slab sensor to help it run more efficiently. I bought a Tekmar 072 sensor and drilled into the slab to embed the sensor. Here is my question(s):
1. The plumbing supply said it was compatible with my thermostat, but I am unsure how to wire it? Is my thermostat compatible with this sensor?
2. If it is not, how important is a sensor?
3. I drill/Installed the sensor at the edge of the floor since it was already tiled. Will this location work?

Thanks for any help...cheers!

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    The RTH7600D does not have any provision for a remote sensor. The least expensive Honeywell thermostat I know that will is the new TH6220U2000, which costs nearly the same as the RTH7600D.

I don't recall which 10k curve Tekmar sensors use, but I can almost guarantee it is not the oddball one that Honeywell uses.

More importantly, I'm not convinced that the logic in any conventional thermostat (with a remote sensor) will properly manage a radiant slab. I would use a Tekmar or Uponor stat designed for the job.
    Rich_49Tinman
  • birch

More importantly, I'm not convinced that the logic in any conventional thermostat (with a remote sensor) will properly manage a radiant slab. I would use a Tekmar or Uponor stat designed for the job.

I figured it wasn't compatible..although sales guy said differently. I will order a compatible Tekmar. By "remote sensor" are you saying a regular air thermostat like mine?

What about the sensor placement? Since it is already tiled, I drilled into the side (see pic above). The floor is 17x17. Not ideal, but will the sensor be effective? I would hate to waste more $ on a new thermo. if it won't work properly.
    Cheers!

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,021
    The radiant specific dual stats that offer customization are as good as it gets.

With slab sensors you can program a not to exceed temperature, or a not to drop below temperature. Air temperature can over ride the slab sensor if the room starts to over heat. It really comes down to you fidgeting with settings to get the control you desire.

The sensor just needs to "see" a sample of the floor temperature, you adjust according to comfort. Try not to put the sensor directly on a tube.

Time was when Euro radiant stats came without any numbers or indicators, adjust until YOU are comfortable, not via the numbers on the dial.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • birch
    edited January 2017
    Gotcha..so I did not completely screw up by not putting the sensor in the center of the floor and having it on the edge (not touching a tube) should work well. ..right?

Lastly, is there a recommended Tekmar thermostat? I normally use a programable one. I will probably turn the system off during the summer months.
    Cheers!
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,021
    Upon just released a new radiant stat if you want touch screen. I'll bet you can find plenty of the older version which was about identical to the tekmar 500 series.

They are a smaller footprint, unless you get the optional backing plate it will not cover the older style mounting.

tekmar or HBX have nice options.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • PinkTavo
    PinkTavo Member Posts: 64
    Pretty sure that the Tekmar uses a 10K Type 2.