Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Conventional Hydronic Boiler with multi-zones

Options
snoop
snoop Member Posts: 10
edited December 2016 in Gas Heating
I am retrofitting multiple zones into my current system and I was thinking that the boiler could be shocked with cold water from 1 zone with hot water on already. I will have a zone thats always on so I may not even need a mixing valve... not sure. So my questions are as follows
  1. Do I even need a mixing valve with one zone always on?
  2. Should I use a 3 way mixing valve, 4 way mixing valve, or hydronic separator?
  3. I read something about close Ts, is that even related to this?
  4. Can I get away with only using one pump?
Proposed system design with a 3 way mixing valve

Comments

• Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    Taco 4 way I Series valve . Can be done with a single circ although Taco only shows P/S piping . Circ should be within the mixed portion of circuits , not where you show it here .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    what kind of boiler? How big is the added zones? You may be able to just add in a bypass between the supply and return. Add a shutoff on the bypass, if needed it's there...if not..leave it off..
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,142
    Options
    what type of radiators? is it a high mass, high water content system? How accurately is the boiler sized to the load?

If the intent of that thermostatic mixing valve is boiler return protection the pump location is fine. Pump away from the mixed port on those valves.
    Be sure the expansion tank connects at the inlet of the pump, air purger at the hot supply out of the boiler.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Formerly
    Formerly Member Posts: 79
    Options
    Why is that zone always on?