Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Can I Reuse this Viega crimp fitting?

Options
Boon
Boon Member Posts: 260
Can I Reuse this Viega crimp fitting? I remember seeing the sleeves sold separately or something like that. I was hoping I can rip off the metal sleeve and put a new one on.
DIY'er ... ripped out a perfectly good forced-air furnace and replaced it with hot water & radiators.

Comments

• GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,695
    Options
    Yes, we're talking the brass fittings? I've done that, the fittings can care less. Heat up the pex and just yank it off. Use a new ring and you're good as new
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    Boon
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,217
    Options
    Best to heat up the fitting and pull the tube and ring off, as Gary mentioned. If you try to cut the stainless sleeve you tend to damage the fitting.

I'm not seeing the sleeves sold separately anymore?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • GW
    Options
    We have a small stash
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,435
    Options
    As w/ just about anything Sioux Chief has all the stuff....

http://www.siouxchief.com/products/supply/powerpex-systems/astm-f1807-and-2159
    Hilly
  • Boon
    Boon Member Posts: 260
    Options
    DIY'er ... ripped out a perfectly good forced-air furnace and replaced it with hot water & radiators.
  • upstateben
    upstateben Member Posts: 33
    Options
    I was under the impression Viega stopped selling the sleeves and only sells the preloaded fittings. In a bind on a sunday evening type job where I needed to reuse a fitting, I have carefully popped the sleeves off of another fitting to use on the one I need to reuse. Of course if you do this all the time youre going to end up with a big pile of sleeveless fittings.☺. Im curious about the Sioux Chief sleeves. They look similar, but it says they must be installed with their tool, it doesnt say the Viega tools will work. Does anybody have any experience using these Sioux Chief sleeves?
  • GW
    Options
    The pex Supply ones seem identical

Always a tiny risk if you interchange brands I suppose. Only an out of ordinary extreme would create a potential problem like a freeze or a boil.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com