Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Mass save Early Replacement

Options
GW
GW Member Posts: 4,692
We all know the mass save early replacement program ended a couple months ago for Nat gas. Had a bit of a surprise last week when the homeowner, whom we just installed a new 95℅ boiler for, called asking for documentation on how old the boiler was that we removed (and handed over to the friendly scrap guy). Turns out it was a non issue because the old boiler wasn't close to 30 years old, but if it was 30 plus we would have had a small problem on our hands.

You'd think the heating contractors would get a heads up wouldn't you? Apparently the program has been extended.

It's quite odd that the rep would ask this question, normally they require seeing the old dog before discussions relating to early replacement rebate levels. I asked to speak to the mass save rep and he nicely said "yes normally we need to see the old boiler but in this case I would have given the ER replacement form if you had documents saying it was 30 plus years".

I voiced my concerns that I had no notification that the program had changed, and he seemed to understand.

Just a heads up for all you mass heating guys, you don't want too many conversations going sideways with $3000 rebate levels getting batted around without your knowledge.

The new year is around the corner so hopefully we can all slide into home plate on this one.

Gary
Gary Wilson
Wilson Services, Inc
Northampton, MA
gary@wilsonph.com
kcopp

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,520
    Options
    So if the old boiler is 30+ no rebate because it's ready for replacement anyhow?? Under 30 it's being replaced for efficiency reasons??
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options

So if the old boiler is 30+ no rebate because it's ready for replacement anyhow?? Under 30 it's being replaced for efficiency reasons??

Nope, over 30 you get a rebate,being oil or gas..Efficency makes the difference....Fo example a 30 year old oil fired steam boiler replaced with a new steam oil boiler properly rated gets 1900.00....GW I learned to put in a clause when I was in business
    That rebates were in no way on me...I helped with paper work and that was it....Chasing rebates is not in my opinion the first thing to be considered when selecting the proper equipment...The early boiler replacement program will not rebate anything if you swap fuels...The oil industry saw to that...
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,692
    Options
    Merry Christmas heat people!

Under 30 years is $1500, 30 and older is $3000. This is Nat gas hot water high efficiency boiler. Oil and LP boilers have different rebates, steam and warm air differ as well.

Over 30 the mass save rep must see old system is place, in working order, and provide the special rebate form.

I'm curious how many heating contractors completely ignore their state's rebate programs. I know there are plenty that ignore the Mass Save ac HP rebate programs and an extreme majority ignore the Mass CEC ductless program
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    Lots of variables, on the rebates....There used to be a clause that the program ended when the monies ran out..regardless of the deadline date....that there could spell trouble.".But I have to say if one followed the EXACT procedures the rebates were not really an issue...
  • Sailah
    Sailah Member Posts: 826
    Options
    I just went thru Mass Save and am having my stupid FHA system redone. I had (2) 105kBTU furnaces older than dirt, but still working (up until Wed...) . I got the early retirement incentive which was a nice bonus. In FHA it's not a huge deal vs boilers.

Every contractor I had to my house to give me a quote gave me the full Mass Save deal. Admittedly I was pretty up to speed on the program because I'm involved with steam though.

I go to the Gas Networks show every year and all the contractors there know about it for sure.
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ