Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Navien NPE-240A Leaking Brown Substance!

teslabolt
teslabolt Member Posts: 2
edited December 2016 in THE MAIN WALL
Unit professionally installed 4/13

Noticed water dripping from my condensation drain tube that comes off the bottom of the unit. This travel down pec pipe and into an aux pump that sends it up and over to my sump pump (as opposed to running along the ground) Took the line off and noticed that the brass elbow joint was the culprit. It had several holes in it from corrosion it appeared. So I replaced that with another line and fittings. I decided to open up the case to check the inside for grins and I notice that there is brown sticky condensation coming off the condensation pan! There is also white crusty crap building up around the heating element or whatever you call it.

I have flushed with vinegar twice since owning the unit and we do have a culligan water softener system. Please help!

Comments

• j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Pics don't show clearly what's going on.....It could be condensate leaking down your exhaust, due to poor pitch or not properly bonded...If your condensate is a dirty color it clearly means you have a dirty burner....In any case get this unit serviced. Refer to the homeowners manual for recommended maintenance scheduling.....refer to the install manual for what the procedure involves...Stay proactive when the tech comes....if in the end he does not put a combustion analyzer in the exhaust....He is no good...About the professional install...that's a whole other issue...Some will chime in and say they see crap work by pros, well then there really not pros...some will say there very talented home owners and have the ability to do the install them self...don't see to many of them....Pretty much if,when I was in business and was called to a home owner install, I would back off....Today its all about liability..Sorry for going on a bit, but do get that taken care of sooner than later
    teslabolt
  • bulldoglax
    bulldoglax Member Posts: 38
    There is a brass elbow and acidic water from your boiler condensing. That is why it is corroded. You can keep changing the fitting but until you run it in appropriate material the same outcome will occur. Also make sure you are running it into an acid neutralizer.
    teslabolt
  • teslabolt
    teslabolt Member Posts: 2
    Can someone point me in the right direction for the neutralizer? My installer did call me back and said that they have since started using PVC for the drain. Go figure.

Thanks!
  • bulldoglax
    bulldoglax Member Posts: 38
    Either axiom NC-1, make sure you read piping diagram so it has time to neutralize or saniflow has a pump/neutralizer all in one; think its called sanicondens or sanicondensbest