Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Best way to fix or reduce a 7" to a 6" hole in main vent for humidifier install?

I swapped out my Honeywell that the plastic just fell apart with one of the same. Had a hard time finding one online, but ebay came to the rescue. Well they had made a few changes, and the 6" flex line they sent is to small for the 7" hole already there. I looked at a reducer and there is not much room now for collars and adapters. I'm thinking about getting a 10" Sq piece of tin with a 6" hole in it, and RTV and screw that in place. Or do you know of something better to try?
Tagged:

Comments

• bob_46bob_46 Posts: 813Member
    Your solution sounds fine.
    bob
  • lchmblchmb Posts: 2,921Member
    that's all I'd do...maybe some tape to cover the edge's so no one get's cut on them..
  • AnswermanAnswerman Posts: 21Member
    By 'main vent', do you mean the air handler or main trunk line of the air ducts?

I would recommend against RTV. Instead use some UL-181 rated metal tape (not the cheap $5 unrated stuff, and definitely NOT duck tape). For a temporary or reversible installation, the tape is fine, to make a really good permanent seal, use UL-181 rated, fiber-reinforced duct mastic.

At large hardware stores you can get a roll of aluminum flashing that works well for patching metal ducts.
    Energy & Sustainability Engineer