Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replacing Taco 007 with a variable circulator

Options
pesiroil
pesiroil Member Posts: 1
hello, I am an electrician and was hoping I could get some advice from yall. Currently have a gas fired hot water system with 4 zone valves and a taco 007-bf5-j circulator.
I started having issues a couple weeks ago with zero water flow through my basement zone and was positive it was an air-lock in the pipes, after many many attempts of getting this airlock out and failing i decided it could be another problem.
i took an amp reading on the circulator and its pulling 1.1amps and the nameplate says .76amps. Out of the three zones the basement is the most complicated and creates a larger head loss then the other two zones. The other three zones are very close in proximity and straightforward zones which apparently the circulator had no issues with.
I could do the easy fix and just replace it with the same circulator, but im reading up on variable speed circulators im willing to pay the extra for the right cireculator and wanted to know if i would have any issues. I also have an aquastat controller that my current circulator is wired to is it the same type of wiring or is there a a type of lowvoltage control wiring needed?
Also delta T or delta p, and is there any variable circulators you would recommend?

Comments

• lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    https://www.taco-hvac.com/products/variable_speed_products/vr2218/index.html
    I'm a fan of a nice delta t pump myself. I've used them in many applications and have heard nothing but good savings...
  • BBros
    BBros Member Posts: 41
    Options
    The ECM pumps run 120V same as the 007. Easy to swap out, no additional controls/wiring. Zero issues for you on that front.
  • Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 707
    Options
    007, the most popular of 00 family of pumps, has a relatively flat curve, is readily availability, robust, and engineered for easy replacement of cartridge assembly when it fails. Your amp reading of approximately 1.5 X nameplate indicates a locked rotor condition. Replacing the cartridge 007-042RP is the easiest, and least costly fix.
    However, if you’re interested in the latest and greatest high efficiency innovations, Taco 007e should be considered. Its performance is equal to 007, but uses up to 85% less electricity making it a great economical upgrade to your system. 007e constant pressure curve makes it ideal for a multi zonevalve dynamic system, reducing velocity, erosion, and noise.
    Attributes; ECM technology delivering high efficiency, Bio barrier minimizes fouling, Integral flow check, and Sure-start technology which continuously jogs pump shaft to prevent locked rotor, all of which makes 007e a wise choice. Hopefully this helps you make an informed decision. For your convenience, I provided a link to catalog.
    http://www.taco-hvac.com/uploads/FileLibrary/100-123.pdf
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
  • Dave H_2
    Dave H_2 Member Posts: 556
    Options
    pesiroil,

I am assuming that this system has worked for a long time already with the existing 007?

If so, the reason you may not be getting any heat in the basement is because of gravity flow. The basement loop is below the boiler whereas the other zones upstairs are getting heat, but probably not at the same rate as before. The zone valve opens and hot water will naturally rise.

The amp reading does indicate that the rotor is not rotating and is locked. The 007e as Joe mentioned above would be perfect for your system if the original 007 worked just fine in the past.

If what you are saying that the developed head in the basement zone is larger than what the 007 or the 007e can handle, thrn I would look into the VT2218, Delta T circulator. It can handle higher head projects and wires the same except for a couple of temperature sensors.

Dave H.
    Dave H