Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burner cycles

Options
Neild5
Neild5 Member Posts: 167
Hi again. I would have asked the guy who installed the boiler this but he is in the hospital. There are 3 Dundick model 500 base units tied together, the center and right units are acting normal, the left unit after running for a while will shut the gas off for 2-3 seconds every 2 minutes or so. Is this something serious or can it wait until he is healthy?

Comments

• Neild5
    Options
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    It can wait as long as the boiler has enough capacity with the two burners. I would shut the electrical off and disconnect the wires to the gas valve and tape them up. Also shut off the gas cock to the offending burner.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    edited December 2016
    Options

not sure if this is related to your problem, but that header doesn't look anything like what dunkirk recommends.
    pretty sure you don't have the minimum height for the riser before you hit the header. Sounds like an issue with the ignition control proving flame carryover. View burner and see if you note an issue with the flame. Could be an erratic ground. Verify pilot flame covers the flame rod. Could be a failing ignition module.

if that was my boiler, i'd demand he clean up the electrical. that looks terrible.
  • Neild5
    Options
    > @Abracadabra said:
    > not sure if this is related to your problem, but that header doesn't look anything like what dunkirk recommends.
    > pretty sure you don't have the minimum height for the riser before you hit the header. Sounds like an issue with the ignition control proving flame carryover. View burner and see if you note an issue with the flame. Could be an erratic ground. Verify pilot flame covers the flame rod. Could be a failing ignition module.
    >
    > if that was my boiler, i'd demand he clean up the electrical. that looks terrible.

Question, the piping coming out of the boiler is 3 inch, on the left side it goes up at 45 degrees to a horizontal pipe and then has 2 risers to a large header where the right riser joins it before the main line comes off the header. Since the large header is definitely high enough, will the two lower horizontal runs cause any problems?