Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

No circulation but pump is running.

Jimbo_5
Jimbo_5 Member Posts: 218
Have a 3-year old Burnham 60k that has run fine till now. When tstat is calling for heat, the circulator kicks on, the supply piping is hot (150°) but return side is cold. Any ideas? All ball valves are open, system psi is 12# and I don't get it.

Comments

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    edited December 2016
    Air..........Try purging.
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    You may get silly lucky if you get the pressure up a few psi
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    What type of circa pump? Is the circulator in fact spinning?

If so, air or a frozen pipe can stop circulation.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Jimbo_5
    Factory supplied black 007. It's spinning, I can feel that, but the piping is only hot for about 8' on the discharge side of the pump, pumping away from the boiler. Everything else is cold like no flow at all. I was thinking of changing the pump, maybe bad impeller? House is not cold enough to freeze, thank God.

The boiler ran fine since installed right after hurricane Sandy. I'm stumped!!
  • GW
    Do you know how to purge?
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Jimbo_5
    Not exactly.
  • GW
    Ah shoot it's very easy to do but very hard to explain, post some pics from 10 feet away and I'll try to explain.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • GW
    Btw seems odd you would lose prime with 12 psi. Your pump may seem ok but it may not be
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    Canucker
  • Jimbo_5
    Not at the boiler now, but there are 2 hose bibs before the pump, on the suction side. But none after the pump, it goes straight into the fin-tune. I will put a ball valve on the other side Incase i need to change the circulator in the future.

Odd that it ran for a few years without any problem and now is not circulating.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    try bumping your pressure up like previously mentioned...
  • Jimbo_5
    Any ideas why it would all of a sudden get air bound? Or do you think the circulator has failed?
  • GW
    For Better or For Worse I normally don't try to over analyze why things went wrong. 12 PSI is plenty for 90% of the homes out there. Sometimes an improper installation or startup may cause premature failure, other times it's just simple mechanics
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Is it base board copper heat like slant fin....Do you hear gurgling in the system....Site unseen its in need of bleeding....Do you normally have the fill valve open or closed. have you tried lifting the small lever on the fill valve/ back flow regulator....Often they stick closed and just need an actuation to over come it....
  • BornForDying
    BornForDying Member Posts: 40
    Lots of videos available online that show how to purge zones. As others have said, post some pics of your valving and we can help if you're not sure.

https://youtu.be/KZI7_UJI5LM
  • Can you describe any unusual events prior to the problem? Did it happen immediately or get worse over time? Was there any work done to the system prior to the problem?

Couple of things you might want to check (if purging doesn't help):
    - Give the pressure gauge a "flick" with your finger - might be stuck giving you false pressure readings.
    - Is there a strainer on the system? Might be plugging or plugged up.

You can easily take the motor/impeller assembly off our 007 to inspect by removing the 4 screws - just be careful and make sure you isolate the circ (close inlet and discharge valves if you have) as water will come out of the pump casing. Replacement cartridges (rotating assemblies) are available if needed (instead of replacing the circ - IF it is a circulator problem).