Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Automatic water feeder for Smith Cast iron boiler 19series

Options
edhan
edhan Member Posts: 2
Hi,

I have an OLD steam low pressure commercial boiler (Smith Cast iron boiler 19series). And I've recently have water feeder problem. My current water feeder look like a Mcdonnell & Miller 47 Mechanical Water Feeder(about $600 just the part) and the technician who came today said that it can be replaced with one of those digital water feeder(cost about $300 everything) is this correct?

I 've had so many issues with the heating and there are so many technicians who don't know what they are doing. Pleas help. Thanks

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Look at the Wiring diagrams for the Hydrolevel VXT water feeder. The float type connection should be what you want. If you arder one, make sure you order either the 24V or the 120V, depending on what you need.
    http://s3.supplyhouse.com/product_files/VXT-24V-install.pdf
  • edhan
    edhan Member Posts: 2
    Options
    sorry Series 5 not 19 Series
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    edhan said:

sorry Series 5 not 19 Series

Still should be the same water feeder, either 24V or 120V.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,063
    Options
    Often a commercial steam boiler needs 2 LWCO, one being a manual reset. I believe the 47 gives you both a LWCO and feeder. Do you have another LWCO? If not you may have to install a second LWCO. Putting the new 47 at a favorable price.

Note: Old guy here...old school....like to move the lever...see how dirty the water is getting....look in the bucket....see the water move in the sight glass that it is actually not plugged...hear the burner shut down...hear the water being added. And it requires you to visit the boiler at least weekly...enjoy the heat from the beast in the basement...notice any water leaks etc.

However the water meter feature is a very good asset to have.
    LionA29
  • scottnjr
    scottnjr Member Posts: 60
    Options

Note: Old guy here...old school....like to move the lever...see how dirty the water is getting....look in the bucket....see the water move in the sight glass that it is actually not plugged...hear the burner shut down...hear the water being added. And it requires you to visit the boiler at least weekly...enjoy the heat from the beast in the basement...notice any water leaks etc.

However the water meter feature is a very good asset to have.
    I agree with all of that, but people still need to do those things with electronic lwco's too! Gotta remove the inevitable sludge from the boiler.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    Options
    Giving a steam boiler a little TLC a few times a month will save a lot trouble.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,550
    Options
    Never herd of a Smith series 5 not that it matters