Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water Hammer Help

Options
I have a customer with a 2 pipe steam system. The system is operating on .5 PSIG steam pressure. The boiler water is very very dirty, we have drained and flushed multiple times to clean out the mud and are making progress. However, there is one radiator on the middle floor of the house, with a radiator on each side of it that is working fine. This middle radiator hammers at the beginning of the cycle nearly every heat cycle. There was a total lack of maintenance in this home and last season we replaced nearly all of the radiator traps and the end of line traps as well as none of them were working. There are no air vents on any of the radiators, nor does it look like there were any ever.
I'm out of options and looking for suggestions for what to look at next.
Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,069
    Options
    If the supply run out for that rad has a sag with a pool of water in then hammer on start up could happen.
    If you can raise the radiator on both ends then both the supply and return would gain slope to drain back.
    A little higher on the valve end to insure the radiator drains to the trap end also.
    Might do it, has worked for me.