Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How's the near-boiler piping?

Comments

• adambnyc
    adambnyc Member Posts: 260
    Equalizer looks too small, riser is too short. Should be 24" min above the water line. Boiling water jumps. A lot of the pros are going for 36" risers. I see your under space constrains, this is a great place for a drop header.
  • nybigapple
    nybigapple Member Posts: 59
    How easy would it be for a professional to add a drop header? Could it be added easily enough to the existing piping or would it require complete repiping?
  • adambnyc
    adambnyc Member Posts: 260
    Eh, difficulty level is all the eye of the beholder I suppose. Not difficult provided nothing else is wrong with the boiler.
    j a_2
  • nybigapple
    edited December 2016
    Let me ask in another way. How long do you think it would take a typical professional to add a drop header(if there aren't any problems)?

I'm trying to decide if I should look into getting some things done now, or hold out till after winter is over. My main concern is being able to finish it within the course of a day without issue.

• EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,295
    Would require a complete repipe. Before a repipe is proposed I would see if that boiler is properly sized and then go from there.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
  • nybigapple
    Ah that's the piece I was looking for. A complete repipe means I won't even bother looking into it till after winter. Thanks!
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Bullheaded riser take-off on top of all that.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    a complete repipe may be cheaper than the extra fuel and discomfort you'll have this winter... It would make for a long day but betting with prep it could be done in one day...just have coffee ready at 6am...
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    g

Ah that's the piece I was looking for. A complete repipe means I won't even bother looking into it till after winter. Thanks!

Smart move, got some visible issues there.....maybe when you start getting proposals you can post them here.....less pricing of course..We will give you 3 or 4 basic questions to ask him about steam....If he can't answer them he may not be your man...
  • furnacefigher15
    furnacefigher15 Member Posts: 514
    Before you start looking into repipe
    1- Does it work now?
    2- How old is the boiler?
    3- Have you done the basics yet? - washout (fire and waterside)

I would not advise doing a repipe unless the boiler was 5 years old or less unless the existing piping is somehow preventing heat function which I doubt.

Repipe when the boiler is replaced, for now insulating the piping will reap you cheap and easy (you can do yourself or with cheap labor) rewards in fuel consumption.