Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help with previously hacked Eddy vacuum system.

Options
ardrysda
ardrysda Member Posts: 8
edited December 2016 in Strictly Steam
Hello all,

I have recently purchased a house out of foreclosure in the west Lansing MI area. It heated by a 50's-60's era American Radiator gas fired 1B J1 G47 boiler running an Eddy vacuum system. It is the house referenced in this thread: https://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/comment/1310015#Comment_1310015

The previous owner, as can be seen above, knew enough to feel confident in altering the system, but in actuality really just ended up hacking the system up somewhat. I have experience in the engineering side of steam power generation plants, and feel that his changes can probably be reversed (by the right contractor- I have no experience in pipe fitting).

Unfortunately I have a couple of major issues right now

1) I have steam leak in the boiler above the water level, I am adding 2-3 gallons a day and have verified it is going out the stack, I haven't opened the boiler to find the leak but will be doing that this weekend (weather permitting). The system will not go into vacuum because of this. If i can access the leak, would something like JB weld potentially help get through the winter? New house, 2 young children- really need to get through the heating season.

2) And this is very concerning given the above leak-, the previous owner bypassed the LWCO when it failed. This was not noted by the heating contractor that inspected the system prior to purchase (a true heating contractor was used to assess the heating system, not a home inspector). The LWCO is a McDonnell Miller series 69 float switch. I will be attempting to clean this tonight to see if it is a simple fix. in the mean time I am checking water levels repeatedly throughout the day and am paranoid of dry firing the boiler while I am at work.

I have a contractor coming Monday AM to repair/replace the LWCO if still not functional and add auto feed in preparation replacing the boiler next summer. I will be looking Obviously we need a new boiler, but I cannot find anybody on the 'find a contractor' page in our area (between Grand Rapids and Lansing) and I would want someone with experience. If anyone knows someone reliable in the mid michigan area, please let me know. The guy who missed the bypassed LWCO won't be allowed back inside the house.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Of course, he should have tested the LWCO during the inspection. Aside from that oversight, maybe he has other piping experience which would be useful in this repair, if there are no others. Maybe the local plumbing/heating wholesalers have some names.
    My LWCO began not to turn off the boiler, when flushed, but the problem was not electrical-the outlet pipe was so clogged as to not have enough flow to empty the float chamber. New discharge piping solved that.--nbc
  • ardrysda
    Options
    That is true about possible other skills, but the other half is pretty cheesed about the LWCO issue and the edict is hers :)

Good point about sounding out wholesalers/distributors, I'll do just that. I also have high hopes for the fellow coming in on Monday for the LWCO.

• adambnyc
    adambnyc Member Posts: 260
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Some home inspectors have a warranty, especially if it was a big company. That's a glaring oversite which should fall on your inspectors shoulders. I would demand my money back on the inspection or if a larger company with a guarantee, make them replace the boiler.

Furnace cement might patch the hole for a temp if its small enough.

Also, it's clear that you know how dangerous a situation your in. That LWCO must be functional. I wouldn't turn my boiler on without it.
  • ardrysda
    Options
    The home inspector couldn't get the boiler to fire and was pretty clear about that fact, which was why we had a heating contractor come to inspect the boiler (would have had one come out anyway for a house of this nature).

We are aware of the seriousness of the issue, and are working to resolve ASAP.
  • Sailah
    Sailah Member Posts: 826
    Options
    Hi,

I asked the question from someone I know in Grand Rapids

He recommended the following:

http://www.kentwoodph.com/

http://viersonboiler.com/

Vierson is the better of the two both are good.

I don't have any personal experience with the above contractors but my source I would trust implicitly. Good luck
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
  • ardrysda
    Options
    Thanks! That is incredibly helpful!