Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

air in water lines

Options
Fontana
Fontana Member Posts: 25
What causes air to keep returning to the water pipes for baseboard heat? When air enters heating is lost, returns when air is bled out..Oil fired furnace..I am at a loss..Thanks, Seb.

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    You could be losing water somewhere in the system, and bringing in fresh water brings in air.
    You could have the wrong type of air elimination that is sucking in air as opposed to removing it.
    There are many things, but easiest if someone was on site.
    I assume you mean an oil fired boiler.
    Post a picture of the boiler and the associated piping, and expansion tank.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Fontana
    Fontana Member Posts: 25
    Options
    I will check for water leaks; it is the wife's rental house and will quiz her on any leaks..I assume it would have to be a noticeable leak for the system to go down every couple weeks..She has a service contract but they can bleed the system to get it working but are dumb as to why its happening wanting to sell her a new oil fired boiler [I had 50% to be right] and don't know if the system was ever right as house was dormant for s few years...Thanks, Seb..
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    Pressure too low, circulator on return and auto vents on high point before circulator causing negative pressure and air to be drawn in. Waterlogged compression/expansion tank with circulator on return.

Taylor
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!