Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Extrol Thread adapters?

Options
kcopp
kcopp Member Posts: 4,433
edited December 2016 in THE MAIN WALL

Does anyone know how I can adapt over the Straight threads from one of the Zilmet style flat tanks that you see on many of the combi boilers out today? Rinnai, Embassy and Bosch have these built in to the units. Often replacements are not easy to get fast and generally they are much more expensive than a standard #30 Extrol tank. I would love to be able to have the proper metric adapter to go to the 1/2" NPT male by 3/4? BST? thread....
Sorry don't know how this ended up in steam....

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    That should be a 3/4 nut, most Euro tanks are 3/4 BSP straight thread.

Get a 3/4 X 1/2 brass bushing. Drag a file across it or run it on a belt sander to get a flat surface.

A US expansion tank will fit inside the bushing, or pex adapter to a remote location.

A fiber washer from a auto parts store, a fat o-ring, or a washer hose gasket is workable, a bit too large.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    kcopp
  • Hilly
    Hilly Member Posts: 427
    edited December 2016
    Options
    What size is the copper? Could you cut the bend off and make a new adapter connection on the straight portion? If you are trying to avoid putting in heat in that area you do have the option of push-fit, press-fit, compression, flare...
  • kcopp
    Options
    That pix was just to illiterate what I was asking for.
    I am asking because I want to replace the standard Zilmet tank on a Rinnai w/ a more robust Amtrol radiant tank.
    thanks.
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Are the zilmet tanks failing prematurely? It is supposed to be a good quality tank. I think Zilmet USA stocks those flat tanks
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • kcopp
    Options
    Well there is a story there....
    I have had many in an apt complex waterlog.
    Each building has 4 apts. 4 zones. 1combi boiler w the built in tank.
    15 units
    Each really needs a bigger tank. They usually go w/in 2 years. Some times I had just left the old tank in line and add the new tank outside the unit attached to the system piping.

I can get new tanks they are just 3 times the cost of a Std #30 extrol.
  • hot_rod
    Options
    I think you are correct, that many failures indicates an undersized tank. Maybe they calculate a system volume, or more likely they find a tank that fits inside the jacket :)

Move it outside the "box" upgrade to a #30 size.

The adapter method I showed will get that copper connection to 1/2 FIP, take it from that.

I'd guess that copper to be a 16mm (.629) a tad bigger than 5/8.
    If you have an expander tool you can fudge a 1/2" copper fitting onto it.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    kcopp
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    The SX Series floormounts do cost a bit more, but still an order of magnitude less than an AX. You could always parallel some EX-30's...