Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

issues with Aprilaire solenoid valves

Options
zepfan
zepfan Member Posts: 397
I was posting to see if anyone else is having issues with Aprilaire solenoid valve part# 4040 (24 volt) I have replaced more of these in the last two years then in the previous 25 years I have been installing Aprilaire products. The whole issue is they don't open when power is applied, and therefore the humidifier they are attached two does not work. This has happened in applications where the house is on both city, and well water. If the house has a well I normally install a Nucalgon water filter up stream of the valve. If the house is on city water I normally do not install the water filter. I would estimate that I have changed 15 of these in the last two years and in most cases the humidifier is less then five years old. The valve will have power going to it, I will shut of the water, remove the inlet screen check it, and it is usually clear. Then I will replace the solenoid valve, and then the humidifier works again. This is something that I was going to contact Aprilaire about as I can not imagine that I am the only one that is noticing this issue. They in my opinion are not reliable, and most of these valves have to be replaced under warranty. Thanks to all

Comments

• John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 952
    Options
    No, had a s---load of manual humidistats go bad about a year old though. They changed contacts in them and the replacements and ones currently shipped have been fine. Solenoids haven't been trouble.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    No, I've been putting them in since 91. Never have I changed a solenoid. I don't use the outdoor sensor option anymore - too erratic in demand. Check your voltages?

Fun fact- the manual bypass bridge supplied is not a simple jumper, there's a resistor buried in that flag shaped gadget.