Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

BG100 -> taco 007

Options
RichC901
RichC901 Member Posts: 9
edited December 2016 in THE MAIN WALL
I’m going to replace a leaking (water) BG 100 with a taco 007 this weekend. I think it should be easy work – there are cutoffs above and below pump and the bolts look to be in good shape. My system is natgas hot water system, 3 zones, and mix of baseboards and radiators over 3 floors.

My question is do I need to bleed the system after I do the pump change? I don’t see an automatic air purger anywhere near my boiler. It’s possible I missed it or it’s on one of my radiators, but I don’t think I have one.

If I should bleed, do you recommend bleeding at the valve near the pump or at the baseboards/radiators?

Also, any gotchas you’ve encountered when swapping out pumps?

Thanks!

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,215
    Options
    Make the swap without losing pressure or much water and you should be fine.

I like to install the new pump and leave the bolts at the discharge end a bit loose. Open the lower valve slightly to fill the pump with water, burp the air, so it starts up. Tighten everything, re-pressurize to correct fill pressure.

Consider the electronic version circulators.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    STEVEusaPA
  • RichC901
    Options
    @hot rod, such a simple and brilliant trick! Leave the bolts loose and burp the air out. Thanks man.

What brand electronic circulator do you recommend? My pumps are on return side, one for each zone. So I don't think I need a variable speed pump.
  • hot_rod
    Options
    How many pumps? I was think more for energy consumption than the variable speed function.

In some areas there is a rebate program for installing ECM circs.

All the brands offer quality products, what color do you prefer :)
    Plenty of promotions at counters this time of year.

Ideally you would know the required gpm and head for each zone to select a replacement.

If you want to stay with that brand, the B&G Vario has a wide adjustment range, nice for zone pumps. A good replacement for those series 100's

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • RichC901
    Options
    I did the swap out this weekend and it was easy. Had a little air above the top bolts, but that seems to have moved somewhere else in the system.

Thanks for the education on ECM circs hot rod. Actually looking forward to my boiler dying, so I can modernize the whole thing. Until then, I'll keep slapping on the band aids.
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,231
    edited December 2016
    Options
    The widely overused B&G 100 most closely matches the pump curve of the Taco 0010. Here is the nice curve chart I marked up for the binders my guys carry in their trucks:

Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    CanuckerSWEI
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    I have honestly wondered where Taco gets their numbers from. The curves seem to not have any correlation with the curves. Although the lower 00 numbers have smaller curves.

Taylor
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • hot_rod
    Options

I have honestly wondered where Taco gets their numbers from. The curves seem to not have any correlation with the curves. Although the lower 00 numbers have smaller curves.

Taylor

Better yet, no curve at all.

PAB get you close on a fixed speed circulator.
    ∆P circs. properly applied gets you straight-lining.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    SWEI