Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

water in my boiler

Options
I have a question, I just bought an old home that has baseboard hot water heat...according to my licensed HVAC guy (I have used this company for over 20 years in my other homes) there is water in the boiler, but it is not there at all times..we have experienced it mostly after a good rain. Even the HVAC guy says he does not understand why it is not there at all times. He does say that there HAS to be a crack in there somewhere causing this issue and that the boiler needs to be replaced before it lets go and floods the boiler and kills it. He says the only way to find the crack is to totally take the system apart, but that he is sure there is a crack and we need a new boiler. Is there any other thing that could be cause this water in the boiler or do you agree it should be replaced? Thanks for your help..it's getting wicked cold here in Maine so if it does need to be replaced we need to get it done very soon.

Comments

• Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    Estelle said:

Even the HVAC guy says he does not understand why it is not there at all times.

Sounds like you need a new "guy". Not sure what the rain has to do with water in the boiler.

• Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 645
    Options
    Water can get into your boiler from the flue depending on where it's located. unlikely though. Some leaks close when the boiler gets hot but not often. More details and a description of you system would help. A correct answer is dependent on the details.
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker