Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cast iron radiators

Options
ljensen
ljensen Member Posts: 4
Can someone please tell me if the legs on old CI radiators are solid or hollow? Have a situation where I need to cut off 3/8" to lower a radiator to make it line up with the existing valve, after adding tiles to a bathroom floor. This is for 1-pipe steam. Any other ideas are welcome.
Thanks,
Leif Jensen, Paxton Corporation, RI

Comments

• Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    All of the radiators I have dealt with have solid legs. You should have no issues cutting 3/8" off the legs. Diablo sawzall blades make quick work of this.
  • ljensen
    Options
    Many Thanks.
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    I'd think a much easier route would be a new valve with extension coupling, then add blocking.
    LionA29
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    For 3/8" I'd try pulling up on the pipe first. Very real possibility there is enough play to get that little bit.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • adambnyc
    adambnyc Member Posts: 260
    Options
    Ran into the same issue when I redid the floors in my house. New subfloor + flooring added 1 1/2" to floor height. Like KC said, try to lift the pipe, you might have the wiggle room.

In my case, two rads were fine, 2 required that I remove the valve, and extend the pipe. One or the rads had a small 16" pipe leading up to the valve and that turned before the valve, so I just replaced that length of pipe.

Another option that I have done before, line up the rad just right. Circle the outline of the legs. Cut out that portion of the tile/floor that the feet would sit in. If your gonna try this one, cut out the outline of the two feet closest to the Shut off valve and see if that is enough. With just those two legs dug out, it will also provide the rad with some good pitch.
  • ljensen
    Options
    Thanks all for your input. No play in the pipe, I'm afraid, solid as a rock. Thought of replacing the valve but afraid to mess with 80 year old pipe fittings. Also thought of adding an 8" spool piece to get a small angle between the radiator and the valve, but can't find the correct union fittings. Standard 1" union nut is to large. Any ideas on this?
    Cutting the tiles for the legs is an option but I rather not.
    I think I will try cutting the two legs, closest to the valve, first. I can always get another radiator if I mess up.
    I appreciate the help.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    For anyone that might discover this thread before doing their flooring, the best solution is to figure this out before the job starts. For some reason people leave mechanical system decisions until the end when the reality is they should be decided on first. After the fact is always more costly and difficult.

Not trying to beat you up over this....it happens sometimes. I replaced carpet once and realized after the fact. A wedge of wood in the basement pushing the pipe up solved it for me.

Also you won't find the correct union fitting, the tailpiece and the valve are a matched pair. They stay together. To do what you propose would require a new valve and if you do that there are other better solutions at that point. A new valve and a couple of 45's can work, or change the vertical pipe out for one that is slightly longer etc.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • ljensen
    Options
    Well, had it been my bathroom I probably would have done that as I am in the HVAC business. House belongs to my daughter and son in law and he rushed ahead with the floor before I had a chance to get involved, so now trying to salvage what we have.

Valid point though.