Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Main vent at last radiator

Options
Brob
Brob Member Posts: 4
edited December 2016 in Strictly Steam
I recently added main vents to my one pipe steam system but Im concerned because I may have done something unconventional. I have two main steam lines in my home and have had issues with getting heat to the furthest radiators. Both the main lines were unvented and there was a plugged spot after the last run up on one side in the basement which Im assuming was for a main vent (it is a 3/8 npt tap which I used a bushing to get to 1/2 npt). On the other side however, there is no location for a vent. The run for the last radiator has about 20 feet of pipe in the basement between it and the previous run upstairs. After this run in the basement it shoots up to the second floor. I added a T right before the radiator and installed a cheap main vent from home depot, it seems to be helping greatly but is kind of noisy and rattles ( it's in the bedroom). Aside from the noise Is there any issue with this in particular? Would going with a more expensive vent potentially reduce the noise? Thanks.

Comments

• New England SteamWorks
    Options
    I am going to assume you have a counter flow system, which means the steam mains pitch upwards away from the radiators and end out in the basement, without returning to the boiler.

In these types of systems the main vents should be at the very ends of the mains, after the last radiator run-out. Sometimes, in smaller counter flow systems, no fittings were installed to allow for main vents. It seems in your case that one branch had a fitting installed (the 3/8ths tapping), and the other did not, which is a little odd.

Nothing wrong with adding a second vent where you did next to the radiator. If it is loud, it is likely because it is undersized. You simply have too much air trying to pass through too small of a vent. You could try a Gorton D vent, which is the largest capacity you are going to find for a tapping smaller than 1/2".

Best of course, would be to getting a fitting added to the end of the main in the basement so you can install a Big Mouth vent.
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • Sailah
    Sailah Member Posts: 826
    Options
    I've been known to make the VariVent in any NPT size down to 1/8" as well as outfit a Big Mouth with a 1/2" tailpiece as long as someone asks nicely...

I'm fairly sure those will get you the most capacity for a single unit in their respective sizes.
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
    New England SteamWorksBrob
  • Brob
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! My system does return the water to the boiler- I have to clean out the dirty water. I've included pictures of the two new vents. The one in the basement screws onto a male 1/2 npt and the one in the bedroom screws into a female 3/4npt join.
    danFromNJMilanD
  • Brob
    Options
    I believe I misunderstood your description at first RI steam, it is as you described.
  • New England SteamWorks
    Options
    Replace those two vents. Search Big Mouth Vent on Amazon. You'll be all set afterwards.
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    Brob
  • Brob
    Options
    They seem to be out stock on amazon... @Sailah I see you are involved with making them, any indication on when they may be restocked? Also noob question... what is the back side tap for?
  • Sailah
    Sailah Member Posts: 826
    Options
    Brob said:

They seem to be out stock on amazon... @Sailah I see you are involved with making them, any indication on when they may be restocked? Also noob question... what is the back side tap for?

Hi, we do indeed make them. I sent stock in yesterday should be a few days.

@Erin Holohan Haskell let me know that she has listed the Big Mouth on the Heating Help store. I would encourage anyone interested to click through the link there and help Heating Help for being a great site for all.

http://astore.amazon.com/heatinghelp-20?_encoding=UTF8&node=13

Thanks
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,315
    Options
    Thanks, @Sailah!

President
    HeatingHelp.com

• hboogz
    hboogz Member Posts: 113
    Options
    Let's say you have a parrallel flow system with wet returns, similar diemensions as the OP, and you can't access the basement where the main vent would ideally be installed (finished basement done years ago) -- would installing main vents on the top floor rads in a similar setup work to get the air vented faster and steam hitting all rads in or around the same time ?
  • Hitzkup
    Hitzkup Member Posts: 63
    Options
    hboogz said:

would ideally be installed (finished basement done years ago) -- would installing main vents on the top floor rads in a similar setup work to get the air vented faster and steam hitting all rads in or around the same time ?

Not on the rads, doing this will vent them too fast, install them on a tee right before them.

• rbeck
    rbeck Member Posts: 56
    Options
    Gorton and Hoffman also make great vents.
  • Neild5
    Neild5 Member Posts: 167
    Options
    > @rbeck said:
    > Gorton and Hoffman also make great vents.

True, but the Big Mouth vents as much as 2 Gorton #2 do and cost less than one. They also are smaller in size.