Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

noisy radiator

Options
i have a one-pipe steam system, gas fired. i replaced the boiler 3 years ago. the radiator furthest from th boiler, while heating up, makes noises like there is water rushing through it. it sound slike the water is rushing into it and then out of it. i shimmed the feet of the radiator on the valve end, but it still makes the sound. i don't remember it being this noisy when i had the old boiler. the pipes in the cellar are pitched fine. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    Options
    Is this on the first floor or second floor? Go over any horizontal pipe that feeds this with a level to make sure there isn't a dip in the pipe somewhere.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,705
    edited December 2016
    Options

i shimmed the feet of the radiator on the valve end,

did you write that wrong ?
    or,
    the idea is to shim the far end of the rad so water flows BACK towards the valve,
    try swapping your shimmed ends , , ,
    and that valve wants to be fully open,
    or fully closed,
    but not restricting anywheres in between

known to beat dead horses
    delta T
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    Maybe he's calling the "valve" what we normally call the vent?
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,705
    Options
    maybe, but,
    "water sound rushing in and out" , , ,
    guess then we could talk about main venting and pressures ??,
    known to beat dead horses
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    Options
    This was my first thought too, shimmed the wrong end of the radiator. to OP the rad must be pitched down towards the pipe that feeds into the bottom of the rad. Valve must be open or closed (no in between)If that is indeed what you did, then check all the mains for proper pitch away from the boiler. You mentioned that the 'old boiler' never had this problem. How new is the boiler? Did they properly skim the new boiler on install? This would have involved someone sitting down there for a couple hours at least TRICKLING water into a bucket. This removes all the oils from threading, and from the boiler manufacture and is absolutely required.
  • Joseph Zizza
    Joseph Zizza Member Posts: 8
    Options
    I replaced the boiler about 3 or 4 years ago. I know that they used some kind of cleaner ( I don't remember the name) after the installation. after they did this, the noise quieted down quite a bit. during the heating season I flush down about a gallon or 2 of the water, let the system cool down, then I add fresh water. this is a small system, only for one apartment, 5 radiators.
  • Joseph Zizza
    Joseph Zizza Member Posts: 8
    Options
    this is a one-pipe system. I shimmed the end under the valve, which was to make the radiator drain toward the pipe.
  • nybigapple
    nybigapple Member Posts: 59
    edited December 2016
    Options
    If you're angling it down toward the pipe you are correct. But you are using the wrong names. The valve is the thing with the handle that can be open or closed and attached to the supply pipe. The vent is the thing on the side opposite the valve that releases the air. You shim under the vent to allow water to freely flow back to the valve, pipe, and then boiler.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    If they used Squick cleaner, then it has only encapsulated the oils left over from boiler installation, and not removed them. It may have a limited lifespan before it lets go of those oils to do their dirty work! Skimming is the only way to remove oil permanently.
    Check your main vents as well. If the radiator vents are left with the job of air removal, there will be more water carried up into the rads, especially if your pressure is too high.
    It's best to have large main vents, and smaller radiator vents.--NBC