Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Replacing Leaking Compression Fittings
I had a new in-floor heat system installed 9 years ago and the fittings on these manifolds (see pics) were not installed well and have been leaking and are getting worse and worse. I want to fix this issue which I'm guessing means throwing away parts of this set-up (scaled-up and corroded) and using new parts. My questions are:
* Am I just changing out the compression fittings on the top of the manifold? Or do you think other parts will need to be replaced.
* Do these compression fittings thread into the manifold?
* Where do I buy fittings like these and what are they called?
* See the "Supply Side" picture: "A" is a bleeder valve right? "B" is a hose nipple, but there isn't a valve between that and the manifold. I don't understand. It would be nice to have a valve here for when I fill it back up with water. Or is there a one-way valve between the hose nipple and the manifold.
* Should I be cutting off the 1/2" PEX and starting on a "fresher" piece
* How much torque on the compression fitting to get no leaks?
Probably need to find out who the mfg. is or buy all new parts.
Is there antifreeze in the system??0
No antifreeze - just water. The manufacturer is Rehau. After poking around on the internet I'm thinking it would be best to just purchase all new equipment right of the tape measure (~$200). Can someone answer what "B" is in the top picture? Is there a one way valve between "B" and the manifold or what?0
If you don't plan on putting zone actuators, and don't need the flow indicators, buy or build a copper manifold with a couple 3/4 X 1/2" tees, and 1/2 pex crimp fittings. Add a couple 1/2 ball valves if you need to balance the circuits.
Add a couple Webstone valves at the end for purging, probably less than 100 bucks.Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream0
- 121.3K All Categories
- 84K THE MAIN WALL
- 2.9K A-C, Heat Pumps & Refrigeration
- 53 Biomass
- 417 Carbon Monoxide Awareness
- 40 Chimneys & Flues
- 1.7K Domestic Hot Water
- 4.7K Gas Heating
- 119 Geothermal
- 155 Indoor-Air Quality
- 3K Oil Heating
- 56 Pipe Deterioration
- 768 Plumbing
- 5.4K Radiant Heating
- 362 Solar
- 14K Strictly Steam
- 3K Thermostats and Controls
- 51 Water Quality
- 625 Buy, Sell, Barter
- 38 Industry Classes
- 73 Job Opportunities
- 17 Recall Announcements