Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

baseboard hot water off steam boiler - stopped working after 'repair'

mike212
mike212 Member Posts: 50
I have baseboard hot water heat in the basement that runs off the steam heating oil fueled boiler. Water temp is set to 170 degrees.

I had work done in the basement and the GC replaced the old baseboards with new ones. First he turned off the water supply, cut open the baseboard, and drained them. Then cut out the old baseboard heaters and installed the new ones.

The water supply was then turned back on.

Since then heat through the baseboards has been weak to not working. (I'm not 100% sure this heat was working properly before - we just moved in recently and never used this baseboard heat although I think we tested it at one point but I'm not 100% certain).

As an example, today I turned on the baseboard heat and can hear the sound of the boiler or something near the boiler pumping water once the thermostat for the baseboard is triggered. 3 hours later the baseboards are still cold. I turned off the thermostat and can hear that sound stop right away.

Any ideas on what I can try to get this working? The GC is not helpful on this and says its a boiler issue, the piping he connected is working fine.

Comments