Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler size

Options
347 Member Posts: 143
Hello All,
Happy late Thanksgiving.
I have a quick question.
Sizing a steam boiler replacement, I came up with 394.5 square feet of EDR. This does not include a missing radiator missing from one room (homeowner said he will not install one, but knows about the future) and the kitchen that has radiant heat. The radiant heat has a external coil that will need to be reconnected the new boiler (gas).
I would like to install a Peerless 63 series but the net rating are either 383 SF or 458 SF.
Which one would be the best fit. I'm thinking a little smaller would be better.
Thanks

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    The 383 should work fine, given the boiler has a 30% additional pick-up factor built in that is not included in the SQ. Ft. of Steam on the rating plate.
    Options
    I have a second question also. I just looked through the installation manual and Peerless recommends the use of one riser off the boiler (which come with two taps), I'd like to use both, does anyone see a problem with this?
  • Fred
    Options
    It is always good to use both riser taps. The installation manuals provide the "Minimum" acceptable installation guidelines. We almost always suggest using both tappings unless it is a very small boiler, then it's a bit of an over kill. A Drop header is always a great idea also.
    lchmb
    Options
    Going to do a drop header. Just trying to figure out if I should keep it 3" or come 3" out both taps and reduce to 2" with 3"x 2" 90's and pipe the rest with 2" .
  • Fred
    Options
    If the boiler tappings are 3", Do it all with 3", risers and header.
    Options
    That,s what I was thinking. What do you think about the size?
  • Fred
    Options
    Best not to reduce Riser tappings out of the boiler and a 3" header should work great.
    Options
    Thanks