Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Leak, and now Triangle Tube Solo 110 display board dead

ivanator
ivanator Member Posts: 3
Hi.

I had a leaky air vent. The water ran down the pipe, then dripped down on the wiring assemblies, and I believe shorted something out. The boiler display isn't working (blank). The boiler powers on and off, but when turned on, it seems like it's stuck on the purge stage - it doesn't cycle through it's start up. Both fuses are good.

The Triangle Tube heats traditional cast iron radiators. I also have a separate cast iron boiler that heats a Unico hot water coil as a backup system, so we are using that right now, but at some point in the next few days, I'll need to use the radiators again as we have a large 1800's house and the Unico system is undersized and doesn't do the job.

I'm trying to figure out if I should spend any money on the Triangle Tube. If it's just a bad display board, I think I'm willing to spring for that. But if it's the control module, I'm not sure I want to spend the money right now and may just re-pipe to the cast iron boiler.

Is there a way for me to tell if the issue is the control module vs the display board?

Thanks ...

Jeff

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    Can you see where the water entered? There should be a water mark trail...
    More than likely it the control. I have seen this happen before w other boilers. Replace the board and you should be set.
  • ivanator
    I can see where the water entered, because it was still dripping. The air vent is at the top of the boiler, so if it leaks, the water follows the pipe down inside the boiler to an elbow, then drips down on some of the wiring assemblies. I found a display board for $42.00 shipped on ebay, so I'll replace it and if there is no change, then I can assume the control module is shot.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    Got any pix? I am pretty sure the display is fine because it is above the bottom... Is this the LCD display on the boiler or the older Honeywell MCBA control?
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    We have a site with three Prestige Solo's that got rained on by an upstairs water leak. The water came across the tops and down the front panels on two of them which messed up the pushbuttons on the display boards. Displays and MCBA controls are fine, but we have to push quite firmly and repetitively on the buttons to program them.
  • ivanator
    It's a 2010 (?) Triangle Tube with the Honeywell MCBA controller. There is no longer a digital read-out from the display. It's all blank when powered on. When powered on, I believe it's just the blower running, nothing fires, no digital read-out.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Sounds like a cooked MCBA, but it's still slightly possible the MCBA is good and there's a short in the display board that's causing the MCBA to hang.
  • ednelson
    ednelson Member Posts: 10
    I am with Triangle Tubes tech Department please contact me at 856 228 8881 ext 155 I will be glad to help you figure out the issue Our hours are 8-5 eastern time Mon through Thurs 8-4:30 Fri.
    Thank you
    Ed Nelson
    kcopp