Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Moving pressure gauge away from the boiler

Is it ok to move this pressure gauge away from its current location? There is a removable wall (for servicing the boiler) that makes it unpractical to check the pressure.

I was thinking of a 90" elbow and a 45" elbow and maybe a 10" nipple to bring the gauge above the LWCO so that it can be seen more easily..

Is there any problem with doing that? I would be taking it off the tee right above the pigtail

Comments

• hvacfreak2
    hvacfreak2 Member Posts: 500
    Pressure is pressure , I don't believe a little pipe is going to change things much . What that boiler really needs is a sawzall to remove the obstruction in front of it.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller

Hatterasguydelta T
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Not a problem. Looking at that picture, if you just turn that Tee 90 degrees, so it and your Pressuretrol will face out, you should be good. If the Pressuretrol hits that box, mounted on the boiler, add a nipple and a coupling on the top of that Tee so the pressuretrol will clear the box and face out also.
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,692
    that picture is obscene,
    move the wall out to the dumpster,
    that's your boiler dammitt
    :)
    known to beat dead horses
    kcopp
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    Yes, you can move the gage. If it's easier the low water cutoff has a spare 1/4" tapping on top that you could install an additional pigtail and gage on
  • skimmer
    skimmer Member Posts: 32
    A couple of screws and the wall comes off.. I made it that way!

About the LWCO tapping..isnt the LWCO full of water where it sits? How would I get a pressure reading off of that then?
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    You have to use an upright pigtail that will put the gauge above the waterline. That pipe will be filled with air down to the loop and read pressure just fine. I don't like using that tapping for anything though. It gets filled with gunk and blocks the pigtail and hence,blocks an accurate reading for anything mounted on it. I think you're much better off using the Tee that the gauge is mounted on and just turning it 90 degrees.
  • skimmer
    skimmer Member Posts: 32
    Yep I am going to come of that tee....just put a 90 on there and maybe a 45 and bring it closer..that way i can see it when I look down my steps from the main floor..thats how i see the water level too... thanks for the advice..much appreciated